Author Topic: Native American Historical Fiction  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Dictionary

Native American Historical Fiction
« on: April 26, 2012, 11:08:11 pm »
I've been reading a book called People of the Weeping Eye written by Michael and Catherine Grear.They are both archeaologists who've taken up writing and they've written a couple of historical fiction books about Native Americans. I thought it was cool they were archeaologists so they actually have a clue about what they're talking about. It has mentions of archery throughout the book. Not very in depth on archery though. I don't want to give it a long review but if you have an interest in native american life then i would recommend People of the Weeping Eye or any other of their books. Of course its impossible to recreate Native American life entirely but the book does a good job at giving you a glimpse. The only thing i don't like is the book has so many damn characters, with names you really have trouble remembering and i don't really like books that describe lives of like 4 different people and weaves them in later on in the story. I was going to put the book down for a while a bunch of times but kept reading and its gotten better. Starts slow but gets better.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Native American Historical Fiction
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:02 am »
I might have to get that book.  I am about halfway through "Empire of the Summer Moon".  It is a historical account of the rise and fall of the Comanches. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:18 am »
I'm not a fan of their work.  Josh

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »
Thier work is ok if you follow the arguement that the population of the Americas stems from the migration of peoples across the Bering straight. Their series actually starts with People of the Wolf and I think there are more than 15 books in the series. Start from the beginnging if you want to get the full effect.  I am a creationinst. My people were created from the dirt where you find them.

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »
I would think a Native American writer should take up this kind of fiction. I started to read one of the books, but didnt make it past chapter two. One character was named Grape. Dad went mad and burned his living area down, something like that, and some sort of haunted ruined area. I just can't recall much except it was on the clunky side.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »
It can be hard to read sometimes. It can grab me for a few chapters then leave me dead in the dust for like 10 pages. I just thought i'd post it because i had never run into a book like this. Of course there is tons of European Historical Fiction such as Cornwell's books. I have like another 100 pages in People of the weeping eye and i probably won't read another one. Maybe someone else would have a different take on it though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson