Author Topic: Mistakes Ridge  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Mistakes Ridge
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »
Sounds like you should thow a slug into the pocket. for just in case.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 06:14:03 pm »
Do they make a 40mm grenade launcher for your shotgun?  To heck with slugs, you need serious "fahr-power"!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:36 pm »
Decoys and a bayonet in the morning. ;D I'll make them slow down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 12:29:10 am »
X2 what Wolf Watcher said. Plus I am surprised he did not hit on any of the hens. >:D
  Well JW just might have been the one the hens were trying to protect! :o
They could have been warning him!  Hey, the old man is coming, run!  :o

Way to go JW!  Luck is just good from another angle!  That is a nice one!
Some nice wing feathers!  I told Eddie, all he has to do is come out to my place in Montana, and sit on the porch, and he can get his Grand Slam, ;)  Man, a cold wet frosty arse, and a bunch of mouthy females trying to ruin a man's day!  Seems it is the same in the animal world too. ::) Yep, gold bond, or monkey butt, powder.  Glad you were able to bring him over to the dark side.  Amazing the power, sex has.  Poor guy, he probably thought he was the stud of the woods, and now he had another hot mama wanting to experience the wondrous elixir of his love. ;)  He was already chalking her up be in his line up!  Yep confidence and an ego like can get you killed! ;)  Sounds like mistake ridge might have been an ancient landing zone for UFOs.  ::) :o  Congrats, and put a couple extra shells in your coat and leave em there! ;)  As well as a check list. ;)  Oh go ahead, and take Eddie there, just give him some 3 1/2 inch magnums! >:D ::) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »
REDEMPTION

Went out Sunday with a 16 yr old kid so I could call for him.  He had been out several times with different people before but had not connected.  We chased around, up and down, had several set-ups with no luck before we gave up and went home for lunch.  I got him working on a hackberry stave (Thanks, Iowabow!).  He roughed it down to dimension rather quickly while I downed water like it was water! 

We went back out in the evening and I got a gobbler to sound off at about a mile away.  We straightlined across two ridges and a creek to get set up on his ridge, only to have him go silent.  We sat him out and called gently for 20 minutes.  Finally he blew over the ridge at 75 yds.  He was strutting back and forth at the edge of reasonable range when his hens did an end run and were alarm putting in my back pocket.  I went into overdrive and brought him into the 30 yd mark and he dumped his very first gobbler!  4 yr old bird with nice long spurs and 8 3/4 inch beard. 

There were two sets of tracks going in to that bird, but only mine came out.  Word has it he's still walking about three inches above earth still!!!

That cane yelper is magic, I tell ya.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 10:35:11 pm »
Nice story.  Reminds me of the hunting down south of you in the Pine Ridge of Nebr.  Long distance locating and some footwork.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 10:49:00 pm »
Forty-nine years old and I can still keep up with a 16 yr old high school track runner.

Mind you, I was eating a bowl full of of Advil with cream and sugar this morning. 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:08 am »

Alright JW!  Oh indeed that kid will remember that hunt the rest of his life!  he may have been walking on air, but to him you will always be nine feet tall!  Way to go.  My first, and I might as well add, only turkey was when I was eight years old hunting with my Dad in the Big Cypress swamp, and we came upon some turkeys feeding on the other side of a palmetto, and myrtle head.  We snuck up to the edge, and the turkeys were within range of my Winchester single shot .410 with number four shot.  Bang, I dumped him.  One #4shot went through the center of  his heart.
I can still see that moment to this day!  I miss my Dad, and all the fun times we had hunting and fishing together.  He was one heck of a Turkey hunter, and could call them in.  I just never took it up enough to be addicted to it.  Though I do plan on doing some turkey hunting in Montana.  That is a lucky kid to have someone like you to mentor him.  I bet he will be looking for some bamboo now....... ;) What no pictures?
                                                   Wayne

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:05 am »
White tipped butter balls and black hills gold ...sucks to be you ;D turkey hunting shure can be full of adventures ....congratulations j dub
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...