Author Topic: Seasoning turkey feathers?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Seasoning turkey feathers?
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:32:32 am »
   I have been fortunate enough to receive 7 sets of turkey wings. I need to fletch some shafts and was wondering how long these feathers need to season. I wont be grinding only cutting them for Eastern Woodland Two-Fletch. Since I'm not grinding can I go ahead or give them some drying time? They have been frozen for 2 weeks.
                     Thanks, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Matt A

Re: Seasoning turkey feathers?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 03:30:09 am »
i would say just thaw them out let the frost dry off em awhile and go to work on them. i don't think the quill is a living part of the bird after it grows initially so moisture shouldn't be an issue if this is true.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:17:16 am »
I'd get rid of the meat and bone and there should be nothing left to rot.  Some guys put them in a plastic bag w/ moth balls or something similar to keep the bugs off, but the freezer has done that already too.  Once they are processed, keep them in ziplock style bags and that will also keep the moths out, as long as the bag is closed.  ;)  Good luck, sounds like you should have a lot of fleathing for awhile. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:47 am »
No problem ,I have used them fresh,I really prefer them to season for a while but not sure it really matters,I keep mine in ammo boxes,fogged with bug spray as I add more to them.Some keep them in a freezer and others do the moth ball thing.
Need to do something or they will most likely get ate up over time. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »
You can use the feathers straight off the bird.  Seasoning the feathers is done primarily by people who use feathers for pens (quills).  Fresh feathers do not make good pens.

I just cut the feathers off the wing with a band saw and then store the feathers in bags or boxes with some mothballs...the non-smelly kind.  If you want to preserve the entire feather, you will need to take some time to separate the feathers from the wings individually.  I think there are videos out there that can show you how to do it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:12 am »
I  freeze them for a few days and then thaw them out for a few days and then back into the freezer.  I do this a few times to make sure I kill all the feather mites.  I then thaw, split and grind.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:51:20 am »
  Thanks for the info guys, should be tying up some this weekend. Nice build along patrick (jackcrafty). Nice step by step and really informative.
                           Thanks again, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:04 am »
Fresh is best...if you do not plan on using them immediately, then take a pair of pruning shears and clip those feathers off at the base. Then leave them out for a few days (week) to air dry. Put them in a zip lock bag and use them when needed. I keep all my clipped feathers inside a plastic tote.

The remainder of the wing has the wing bone call parts if your interested in those. Otherwise trash the rest.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes