Author Topic: Osage board  (Read 2724 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Osage board
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
I ran across an osage board which is a 1 X 8 (3/4" x 7.5" actual) eight feet long. Not having worked any osage, I would like to maximize the number of bows I can get out of it. I know can rip 5, 1.5" boards (less the blade thickness) I know I could make them narrower but thought that width should give me some options on various styles, etc. My question is this. Since osage is such a good bow making material (I will probably back it with something such as hickory or bamboo), can I get away with cutting them 64" long so I can use the remaining 2' 8"' as billets to glue up 2 more, or should I cut them longer? I would just like some feedback from y'all.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Jboyd

Re: Osage board
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »
You could do exactly as you would like as long as the grain isn't too wavy or knotty in certain places, with my experience I have never gotten a board that perfect to be able to use the whole thing and remember you will need handle pieces.

jamie

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »
I know you're going to think this is hilarious, but I actually have not seen the board yet. I was at the lumber store, yesterday talking to them about various types of wood I could use. When I told them how hard it was to find osage around here, they called a mill a couple of hours from here and he happened to have a board in stock. He said it was straight and not very knotty, but I won't know till Mon. when it gets here. The price wasn't bad and I don't have to pay for it, if it is not good enough for bow wood. I'll post a pic when I get it....that is, if it is good enough to buy.

By the way, I kinda gauge my idea of a good price on the cost of 1X2 slats at 3 Rivers for $50. It sure would be nice to get 7 bows out of this board, though.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 05:51:17 pm »
Don't hold your breath. "He said it was straight and not very knotty" makes me very suspicious. A straight board maybe...cut straight through the grain. Or he might have meant "not so warped". Not 'very' knotty? Maybe a little bit knotty then? You want ZERO knots in your bow. A pin knot is fine with a backing, but real knots will kill a bow.
Osage is just not a wood that often yields perfect boards. Be very critical about it when you inspect it. Two big knots can render the entire board useless. Be critical. You can only make a lay out for the board and how to cut it, once you've seen the wood. Quite frankly, I think you should consider yourself lucky if you can get four bows out of a board with those dimensions.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »
I agree 4 bows would probably be great out of that board unless you are able to cut and splice to get
rid of some knots.  But osage is not straight and knotless so if they said it was straight and not very many
knots good luck at least you can look at it before you buy it.  I hope its a good board for your sake!

Jamie

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:33:12 pm »
 Boards are cut(milled) straight. The saw cuts through swirls, knots, etc to make that board straight. As a bowyer we can fix "not straight" in most cases. It is the grain that is more important to a successful bow than straight is. For the lumber salesman if a board looks straight it is straight. He doesn't know what is needed for building a highly stressed object like a bow. He might know what makes a beautiful chest of drawers or coffee table. In these objects the swirls and knots in some cases are desired for their finished beauty.
  Read George Tsoukalas' website about choosing an appropriate board to be used for bows. This info that George has researched and put into practice is not only for a red oak board or an ash or maple board but any board of any wood that will be used to build a bow, a very specialized application.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline randman

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:52:33 pm »
Even if the grain was not straight in an osage saw cut board, couldn't you back it with a nice straight grain piece if hickory and get a successful bow? Maybe if the proportion was 50% hickory and 50% osage? I have seen osage boards at local hardwood suppliers (none with what I would consider straight enough grain for a self bow) and wondered about this.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »
That was my thought, Randman. I figured if it didn't have any real bad knots or places, I could get away with a few runoffs if I backed it with hickory or bamboo.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:20 pm »
It will all depend on the grain and knots. Without seeing the board it is hard to say.
  You shouldn't need to make the backing too thick. 1/8" is plenty thick enough for hickory backing on any bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC