Author Topic: hot box materials  (Read 1415 times)

Offline snedeker

hot box materials
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »
I never ended up making one for bowyering purposes.  However, my son is interested in electronics repair and there's something one does with circuit boards with heat to reset the connections.  Needs to be at 160 or so degrees for 8 hrs.    Whats a good non-flamable material to use?

I have a bamboo backed mesquite bow that I should probably post, eh?

Dave

Offline Bevan R.

Re: hot box materials
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »
I built mine from 7/16" OSB then lined it with foil covered foam.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »
I built mine from 1" foam insulation board.  Not sure if it would hit 160, though.

Kyle Snow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:02:58 am »
Dave, you can use foil backed foam board taped together with metalic duct tape. A few 100w incandescent light bulbs should get it up pretty close to 160deg. If not 2 try 3.
  I made my hot box as per Bingham's pattern. It is 1/2" plywood with 1/2" foam liner for insulation. It also has 4 light bulbs and a thermostat that maxes the heat at 168deg. Binghams also sells the thermostat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:01 pm »
thank you Pat for the info about binghams.i am getting ready to make one myself.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Brock

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:47:21 am »
I built my first one from OSB...stood vertical...chicken wire bottom with a ceramic base for the light mounted in bottom and lined with heavy tin foil to reflect the heat up.

Put a vent near top on one side I could open or close to help regulate heat and let the moisture out.  Drilled hole just big enough for meat thermometer in front of door.  Also made one big enough for the OUTSIDE probe of a humidity gauge with it mounted on outside.  Put a single 100w bulb in bottom and in that narrow 2x2x8 foot closet it would get warm enough to keep my hickory at around 10% relative humidity based on the temps and high humidity outside all summer long here in Charleston.

I am about to build a new one that lays down as I had to flip the stave on opposite ends to make sure one end did not dry out too much but having on a dimmer switch helps regulate it all nicely.  This time using some leftover OSB again I have in garage...lining with insulated foil...3 bulbs on ceramic mounts...maybe 60-75wattes....piano hinge on lid but going to make it a box first and then cut top off for a lid.  I am ready to finish my hickory bow I started couple weeks before 9-11 and never finished as I was deployed for almost the next two years.  Then I retired...started new job and just not had desire to finish it.  Now I do so time to finish.

It is roughed out and ready to start floor tillering so need the box before I start.  Thanks for the thread to get me motivated again. :)