Author Topic: Snake skin belly scales question?  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Okla-archer

Snake skin belly scales question?
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:54:00 pm »
I Just got a snake skin from the local zoo and its just big enough to make it work. I only have one skin and I cant really get another one.  Its a Tiger rat snake from south America.  I really wanna be able to use and the concern that I have is that in order to make it work I have to use a section on the snake that includes the belly scales.  they curve quite a bit but I'm guessing one they're removed it wont be so bad.  Has anyone ever done this? What should I watch out for? I'm guessing its going to difficult come gluing time because of that curve from the belly scales.  I would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks,
Joel

Google Images
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:33:05 pm by Okla-archer »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snake skin belly scales question?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:12:51 am »
Have you salted that skin. That is not necessary if you are going to use it on a bow. Now you will have to remove all the salt before you try to glue it down. If you don't remove the salt the skin will attract moisture and rot on the bow even if it is sealed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Okla-archer

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:28:30 am »
Bummer... yea I salted it.  I figured having it dry would make it easier to split down the middle and might get rid of some of the curl.  so do I just soak the skin to get rid of the salt? 

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:39:18 pm »
you should soak it in hot water and rinse it repeatedly..then tack it out and sir dry....it might be ok...you don't have to salt or borax snake skins that are not being tanned....gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:00 pm »
Do as gut said!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:28 pm »
I'm with them snake sknis dry nicely without salt. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?