Author Topic: Some broadhead questions  (Read 3001 times)

Offline gudspelr

Some broadhead questions
« on: April 04, 2012, 03:53:10 am »
I'm picking up supplies to make some all bamboo bows along with bamboo shafts to make into arrows this weekend.  I'm really excited at the prospect of having a bamboo bow shooting bamboo arrows, all that I made.  What I'd really like to do is be able to put points on the arrows that i made, too.  I've got a forge and other tools and have made a few knives and it wouldn't be too hard to make some trade points.  I also have a fair amount of obsidian that I'd like to someday get around to learning to knap into some heads.

My question is, how does shooting these arrows go?  With regular screw-in broadheads, you can practice in an appropriate target.  Do the trade points pull out of the same type of target without a problem?  What about knapped points?  I cant imagine going hunting (ultimate goal with this gear) without having practiced with the actual arrows I'd be hunting with...  Anyway, your thoughts and advice are very appreciated.

Jeremy

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Some broadhead questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:57 am »
I have practiced quite a bit with cane arrows with blunts, knapped points and trade points.  I find them to be as durable and trouble free as any store bought arrow.  I make my blunts for small game from cut down 30-06 brass casings and glue them directly to the shaft with superglue.  These blunts have been shot hundreds of times into foam block targets, rotten stumps and round hay bales with no ill effects.  My knapped points and trade points are tied on with art sinew soaked with super glue and attached to an oak dowel foreshaft which is glued into the hollow cane shaft.  I haven't used bamboo, but I guess it is similar to our native cane.  I cut self knocks just above the nodes and have found them to be very durable.  For some reason, it took me a while to realize that you need to get some thread and superglue and tie your fletching down.  Since I started doing that, I am not refletching my arrows near as much.  I tried to post a pic of some points,  but it said my file was too large and I am a better neo cave man than computer operator.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Iv shot my stone tipped arrows in my McKenzie block layered foam target.  They held up fine.  Just be gentle with them as you pull them out.  If you mounted your heads with pine pitch then you could just reheat the pitch and reset the head if they do happen to break loose.  But your sinew wrap should hold the head on the shaft even if the pitch breaks loose from the head.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, I sure appreciate it.

Jeremy

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:07 am »
another effort at posting a photo of some points....  here goes.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:48 am »
O M G!  I did it....  okay, sorry about that...  a minor celebration on my technologically challenged part.  ANYWAY.... these points have all been shot numerous times.  Art sinew and super glue hold up pretty well.  Sometimes the wrappings fray a little and I burn the fuzz back smooth with my bic lighter and apply a little more glue. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:48 am »
Great looking arrows.  Guess I shouldn't underestimate these kinds of well done heads.

Jeremy