Author Topic: Quiver and Felt  (Read 6601 times)

Offline paleryder

Quiver and Felt
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:13:08 pm »
I have been thinking about making a quiver using some hides I have (coyote and goat) with the fur on. As an alternative to leather I was thinking about using felt as a liner. I'm thinking of both a "plains style" and a back quiver.

The felt at the local fabric store is too thin IMHO. It's acrylic about about 11oz, maybe 17oz if you're lucky. It's crafting felt. I got on-line and found a store, "Felt and Fabric". They sent me some samples. I was hoping that felt would be a workable and cheaper option to leather.  Here's what I found.

They sell a product called Tempora III that is 3mm think (1/8") and is 100% wool. It's 72" wide and stated to be 30oz based on these dimensions. $85.00/yd.  They have industrial felt padding  (all 72" wide) grey  50% wool that is $27/yd for 1/8" and $39/yd for 1/4". Their white 100% wool industrial padding is $60/yd for 1/8" and 100/yd for the 1/4" thick.  Well, these prices surprised me but mabye I'm not being realistic because they are 72" wide. You could make a number of quivers out of just a yard of this material. I am also used to craft acrylic felt prices too.

Well, the Tempora III at 1/8" is firm. It is said to be "flame proof"; I guess you can put out your cigarette in your quiver when you're hunting.  :D  I think you could make either a plains or even a back quiver out of it. It's difficult to tell if it would keept it's form as a back quivery but I think it would. The 1/8" black felt would not be firm enough in my opinion for a back quiver but I think it would make a plains style hanging quiver. It is not nearly as firm as the Tempora III. They only sent me a 1/4" sample of the white 100%. Interestingly, it is not nearly as firm and sturdy as the Tempora III that is only 1/8". It feels softer and more pliable than the black. The thickness makes is sturdy.  I think it would make a nice hanging quiver.

My idea is to line the hides with the felt. I thought it would give the hides some body, protect the hides and make a quiet quiver. I hope this helps someone. Has anyone tried using felt of this type as the main body of a quiver?

May it be blessed,
Todd

Offline sonny

Re: Quiver and Felt
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »
what types of points do you intend to carry in your quiver ?? reason I ask is that any sort of stone or steel "broadhead" is
going to hang up on felt.
If you only plan to carry field points in your quiver then felt will work fine.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »
Well, I intended on carrying blunts, field points and, if I learn how to make them, stone/obsidian points. For the back quiver, I'd have a stiff leather bottom so I figured I could carry steel broadheads in that. I did think about lining the bottom of the plains-style quiver with some pliable leather for some extra protection. The Tempora III stuff is pretty compressed unlike the black and white felt pad. Hmmm, you do suggest a problem though. Maybe it won't work for hunting arrows. I might give it a try anyway. It's my lot in life to bang my head against immovable objects.  :laugh: Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
If I added felt as a liner I'd use thin stuff or make the quiver from just heavy felt.  I think, like Sonny said, broadheads would probably hang up on the felt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paleryder

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
I guess this is good reason to rethink my plans. I wanted to make a hunting quiver out of the coyote and the goat and I am worried about arrowheads damaging the hides. Thanks guys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 05:05:30 pm »
This is a coyote quiver I made for Tim Lathum of Oklahoma. The face of the coyote was used as the flap for a detachable possibles bag. In the last pic note the red leather I used to line the bottom of the inside to help protect the hide from broadheads.

In any soft leather quiver I either use a foam block in the botton  for the points to stick into or make seperate individual head covers for the broadheads. More for safety than just to protect the broadhead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paleryder

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »
Wow, beautiful quiver. Looks like that's the way to go then. Thanks a lot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »
Check out Jackcrafty's(Patrick) coyote quiver build alongs in the "How To" section. I used his working with and sewing fur techniques which were very helpful but not his design. He builds authentic NA quivers and I wanted my coyote to face forward where the NA style is reversed. To me the hair laying back would be more quiet and hunter friendly than laying forward like the NA quivers do. I know they had their reasons too.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 07:41:40 pm »
Well, what were their reasons? I've had the same thought about the hair. I thought maybe the rear end of the animal was larger and that's why they used it as the opening of the quiver. Thinking a little further, however, I suspect that they reversed it because the neck area is thicker and would provide greater protection from puncture from the arrowheads. I don't know. Maybe they thought having the coyote looking behind them while they hunted provided some benefit. Or course, I could be all wrong. :-) Does anyone know?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »
On the coyote hide the rear is the bigger end, the head end the smaller. Maybe that has something to do with it.  ???