Author Topic: 60" Recurve in Ipe has been begun.  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

60" Recurve in Ipe has been begun.
« on: April 01, 2012, 01:06:49 am »
It's official.  I've started it.  I made new tip forms and need to shallow them up a bit.  I've got the belly piece riped to rough size, sanded and cut to length.  60".  Man that feels short after doing only 66" and larger bows.

The new forms are the opposite of what usualy is made since I'm doing it as a Bamboo trilam.  They are a porabola and attach to a straight bar so that I can adjust them for length and use different amounts of the curve.

The problem now is my indecision.  Should I make it a bend in the handle? I've never done one of those.  Or a put a riser type I like on it?  It will be a working tip curve influenced by Gordons . . .  I hope.  Tripple laminate no Sinew.  Probably Bamboo and Hickory or Maple.

Feeling anxious.  So far the bamboo fits, the middle lam will most likley fit.  It's all down to the IPE right now.  and I haven't fully decided if i'll kerf cut it or slice a wedge of the belly and reglue it back on Ala 4est Treker.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: 60" Recurve in Ipe has been begun.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:48:43 am »
You could do like I'm having to do. Make a non-bending handle....have it pop off :'( ...then make a bendy. While I don't wish any bad luck on you, I've been studying the handle buildups with various materials like superglued leather, leather, rawhide, hemp, and such, and am looking forward to trying it. Good luck whichever you decide.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:09:58 am »
New designs are alwayse nervy for me.  I'm not honestly sold on Recurves.  I like long bows personaly but I do need something shorter for hunting and want to make a super shortie for bow fishing from a kayak.

I'm going to take this one slow and try and just have fun. 

As farr as handles poping off There is a bit by a blog called "Poor Folks Bows.  The Boo Backed Ipe build along.  The easiest method and I think the nicest looking is to make the fades transition down INTO the belly material so that they aren't actualy bending.  His graphic shows what I'm talking about.  This is how some of my favorite R/D bow are made by Konrad Voegelle in Europe.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:26 pm »
got some serious work doen today.  Decided to use cerf cuts.  Hickory wedge spliced in and a hickory lam made.  Now I"m deciding do I want to use Bamboo as the backing or the hickory as the backing and then use bamboo in the core?  Choices choices.