Author Topic: glued some up...  (Read 4641 times)

Offline medicinewheel

glued some up...
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:56:58 pm »
...  ;D ;D ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:03:13 pm by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

a finnish native

Re: glued some up...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:30:39 pm »
looking forward to some "to be continued" stuff.  :D

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:40:38 pm »
Dany medincinewheel you got more projects than I do. That looks great - I too am looking forward to some finished stuff. One day I'll graduate from the self bows and try a glue up.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

kerbinator

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:41:02 am »
You realt got it goin on. Keep up the good work. Kerbinator

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:54:02 am »

thanks guys!  -  i'll actually be glueing up some more this week...

cowboy: concerning tillering the selfbow is no question more demanding then the glued up stave; there you shouldn't worry!  the big deal for glueing up staves is to have the laminations well-prepared!
Frank from Germany...

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:40:02 pm »
I'm doing the same thing, I got number nine on the form today.  No handles yet, just gluing backings to belly slats.  I have stuff prepped for twelve blanks altogether.  All mine have been R/D profile so far except one hickory-backed cedar ELB.  I have massaranduba, osage and black locust belly slats, a few hickory backings but mostly bamboo.  I'm using resorcinol, I'm over halfway through a quart can already.  What glue are you using, and what kinds of wood and backing?  How about clamps?  And are these for Christmas presents or custom builds for people?  I have a few "orders" I want to fill, people who have been asking for a bow for over a year now.

Keep up the good work, we'll both have plenty to do this winter.  I'm doing my cutting and sanding outside to keep the mess to a minimum.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 01:00:43 pm »
Looks like you been busy.I like doing that with my selfbows,get in the mood to rough some in and then get in the mood to finish some. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »

yes tom s. and pappy - i believe that way of working pretty much helps to do inspired work!

these are different combinations of wood: (l.t.r.)

hickory-backed hardmaple, pyramid (started tillering that-one, posted pictures with questions; have a look...)
bamboo composit, yumi style (my buddy glued that-one)
hickory-purple heart-jatoba, narrow-limbed flatbow
hickory-black walnut-jatob, with long recurves
bamboo-black cherry-ipé, flatbow

underneath lays a hard maple recurve waiting to get hickory-backed.

have some more ipé, jatoba, bulletwood, hickory and bamboo and also a few rough-out selfbows... i just go ahead and make some bows, for my own learning experience. i have occasional orders and also a friend wants to display some in his archery store.

frank
Frank from Germany...