Author Topic: Oak Board Holmegaard  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Jeremiah

Oak Board Holmegaard
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:26:44 pm »
Hey everyone, starting a thread to track the progress of the bow I'm building right now. 66" nock-nock oak board bow w/ linen backing. Following ADB's holmegaard build-along for dimensions.

Would love any advice, fixes, criticism yall got!!

blackhawk

Re: Oak Board Holmegaard
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »
your hinging the fades hardcore....you must be very careful tillering mollys and not bend the fades to hard because it is the highest stress spot in this design,and most failures i see with this design is in the fade area..i like to get the mid limbs bending first then slowly distribute that bend as i tiller down up to the fades

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »
the hinges at the fades seriously scare me, you need to get more mid limb bend
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:56:25 pm »
You may consider adding a handle section as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »
Hinging at the inner fades? As in from the handle to the working portion of the limb? So remove more wood midsection of the working-portion of the limb?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:56:29 pm »
Hinging at the inner fades? As in from the handle to the working portion of the limb? So remove more wood midsection of the working-portion of the limb?

Yup.  Your limbs aren't bending at all in the middle - not good!  Don't pull the bow any farther until you get that sorted out, or you will end up with a bunch of set.  A good rule of thumb while tillering is to never pull the bow farther that it takes to reveal a stiff spot or defect, and you can see the problem clearly at 17", nevermind at 23" :)

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »
haha thanks Cameroo, I'll try to be alil more patient in the future

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »
patients will come i time, im just starting to learn it after over a year  ;D and i meant to respond to your pm, i guess time got away from me, but if you are ever heading down south a little let me know and we can work on some bows
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:30:24 am »
Hard to tell from the pictures but have you narrowed the handle width? Is it the same thickness as the working limbs out of the fades? To me it looks like you 100% NEED a riser gluing on this will obviously stiffen the handle area that at the moment is doing all the bending. If you glue a riser on first glue a piece no more than 1/8th thick then the bulk of the handle, even make up the whole thickness from thin 1/8 thick pieces. If you just slap one big thick lump on it WILL pop off when you start bending the bow. Make the riser go 2 inches into each fade eg if your handle plus fades are say 8 inches you want the first few pieces of your riser 12 inches long.
Some of my first attempts at board bows looked just like yours does now.

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
mikeswick you're the man! I've been debating about adding some thickness to the handle and how to do it, so thanks for settlin the issue for me.

Looks like a busy week so may not get around to it til this weekend. Maybe I'll find time to post some profile pics of the bow with dimensions so I can bounce my idea off yall on how I want to fix the handle.

Offline Jeremiah

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 01:35:53 pm »
cool fish- I still have some time to learn it then. I'll let you know if I'm headed your way.