Author Topic: Magic  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Magic
« on: March 25, 2012, 03:14:47 am »
I have been working on my first bowfor a few months now, and through the trials and tribulations and rawhide backing( thanks to turtle creek). something magical happened today at my uncles, we had it on the tree at the meeting place for out first PA " club" meeting. The top limb had a great arc once we moved to the short string but the bottom limb was really stiff, so after about 50 runs with the bowyers edge (checking tiller every 10) the chink of wood that I had been shaping for months turned Into a bow, seeing it up on the tree bending like it should was great. It is nowhere near done and will probably come in a little under weight but it was a great experience... Man I should'a got a picture
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:13:45 am »
  COOL DEAL
 There comes a time when you step back and say YEA I CAN DO THIS.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:16:26 am »
That is way cool.....but so will watching that first arrow whistle down range.....if possible, try to keep the bow...there is only one "first", eh?
rich

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:16 am »
Good job!! That's the truth, there is only one first!! I wish I still had mine. Keep up the good work, and ya a pic would be great.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:24:45 pm »
That is the "magic"!  8)
  You also got a chance to see the difference between long string tillering and tillering a braced bow. The less time on the long string the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »
He did real good.....patient with the bowyer's edge, card scraper & gizmo, exercised the bow well....will post some pics when we get some taken

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:29:08 pm »
Wait'll you loose those first arras from her.  ;D I still remember the shock of seeing that first arrow fly from the first bow i made, and being so happy that it went forward  ::)  This also happened to be the first real arrow i loosed ever (well, except that toy bow with a blunt that i had as a 10 year old). 

Well done, looking forward to the pics.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 04:17:44 pm »
Nice! Hope to see some pictures soon. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:52 pm »
That is an awfullly good feeling. I can remember doing some fist pumping the first time my bent stick loosed an arrow.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
He did real good.....
Careful uncle John, if u keep complimenting me it might just go to my head >:D ;D
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.