Author Topic: need a teacher  (Read 3821 times)

Offline butch

need a teacher
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:27:55 pm »
 the new bow for my sons bday just developed a  H  shaped fracture across a small bump on the back.  hickory/68"/1.5" wide/45#@29"/flat belly almost/lightly rounded back/one good hump on each limb. he pulled it to 32" 30 shots. can i save it by backing? i have tb 2 glue and a 100 degree box. i would like to increase the draw by 10 # and 2" also if possible. just asking!!!! can i back it in a camo pattern or do i need to use rawhide or what?? shure thank you.   hey otoe , my first two broke .. get a board . a good one.   

butch
 to teach is to touch a life forever.                                                               

econner

Re: need a teacher
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:43:10 pm »
Have you thought about taking a couple of inches off the tips and retapering the limbs to raise the draw weight? As for your backing, It would seem to me that rawhide would work well, but personally I prefer to put a layer of sinew on a bow that looks less than stellar on the back. It won't fix everything, but I haven't had one fail on me yet that has been sinewed. After writing that, I'm sure the next one I do will blow up spectacularly.

Offline butch

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:02:57 pm »
thanks econner . i thought that may be the best choice but i havent any and im cheap. guess i should find some but wheres to look , oh where oh where

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:38:50 am »
Pulling a 68" bow, any bow, to 34 inch's is really pushing it, especially with Hickory. I know "some" stave's will get you there "but".  I am not surprised at the "H" fracture. If it were my bow I would CA it, and back it with raw hide (go to trade forum and ask). My alternative would be bamboo backing, which would raise the poundage and fix the back, and it would look good stained. Use Urac 185 glue for boo/hickory bond. At 68 inch's and 55# or so the speed should be in the high 140's fps.

Dick

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:58:44 am »

I agree with Dick that 34" is extremely excessive draw for a selfbow. That's very long even for a compound bow. I don't know how tall your son is, but I think he might should consider changing his draw/stance. He is probably drawing the bow in a compound style. I started out with a compound many years ago and had a 31" draw, I have around 26-1/2" draw now with a self bow. I'm more quartered standing versus straight across the shoulders, back, arms.

I'd put some super-glue in the fracture first thing. We've wrapped sinew around problem area's also. Bamboo backing or sinew backing is an option, but not a guarantee. Reducing the bow length by cutting some off the tips will increase the poundage, but will also increase the stress to the bow. This bow has enough stress trying to hold up to a 34" draw. There is a good chance it could fail not meaning to be negative.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:33:42 pm »
Hey Butch:  Thanks for the advice.  So far I've been covered up so I've not even had a chance to look for wood other than my debacle last weekend with the persimmon.  I think I might get a chance to sneak off the next day or two but even if I do, the board will have to sit and wait until Labor day weekend at the earliest.

Also, I did not get a deer stand at the Chandler Lake drawing this past weekend.  I have absolutely no luck in drawings.  After looking at my calendar and options for the Arcadia Lake harvest, I decided not to throw in my $50 and just stay close to home this fall.

Otoe 

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck