Author Topic: Tillering Tree Question  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Tillering Tree Question
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:59:45 am »
I have seen some tillering trees where you can peg the string at different draw lengths to study the limb profile. While this would be easier to identify stiff spots it would seem to me holding a bow at draw for an extended period of time would be tough on it. Any thoughts on this?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering Tree Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:11:09 pm »
IMO, that is the worst possible method while educating your bow to bend. Using a rope and pulley allows you to exercise the limbs as you lengthen the draw without holding it statically. You can observe the bend of each limb and mark the stiff spots or weak spots without overstraining the bow. Holding a bow statically at full draw or on the way to full draw can be very detrimental to the bow at any time in its life.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:44:50 pm »
I can put a peg in my tree and hold the string.  I very rarely do that and when I do, it is only at a very low draw on the long string so I can see what it will look like braced. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:58:28 pm »
I didn't listen to my mentor either until the tree broke and the bow conked me on thre head. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:58 pm »
  I had a peg tree the first year I built bows but then make a strap-pully system 20 years ago. Out of a 1 inch strap and pully out of a deer hoist. It works and easer to hold than a rope.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:34 pm »
I peg my string for gizmo checks. I usually have a perfect bend before I even get to normal brace height so there is not any abnormal stress on the limbs by doing so.