Author Topic: 1st bow quick start?  (Read 3753 times)

justinater

Re: 1st bow quick start?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:10 am »
Thanks for the welcome guys  :)

Offline Jarod187

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:32 am »
You can make a hot box to dry the wood faster. It is not very difficult. its just a wooden box with three 40 watt light bulbs to heat it. Just place your bow inside of it for a week or so and it should be dry enough to work with. If you have taken off the bark you will want to seal that back. You can do a google search on making a hot box for drying wood. Make it simple. It doesnt have to be insulated. The inside of the box should be around 85 to 100 degrees. I wouldnt go any hotter than 100. Hope this helps

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 01:18:09 am »
Hey Justinater. I was in the same boat several years ago. I orderd the bible set, started reading, started cutting down hickories and osage, splitting and putting them up! but still needed to build something. So i found a local saw mill and bought some hickory boards and went to work!! It's very exciting building your first bow. A dozen later and after starting to laminate some hickory on hickry to get higher draw weight, I was ready and my staves were dry!! have fun!! Once you start you cant stop ;D
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250