Author Topic: Problems with stain, need advice  (Read 2638 times)

Offline druid

Problems with stain, need advice
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:21 pm »
Almost always I use walnut stain for bows. Sometimes there is a problem: it is made of walnuts boiled in water and that water (base of stain) makes beautifully polished bows somehow sandy, and spoil its smoothness. What is some other natural stain I can make for bows, any advice?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Problems with stain, need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 03:22:50 pm »
The water is probably raising the grain Druid. Try using some 0000 steel wool or 400 grit sand paper after staining but before sealing.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline druid

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:48:57 pm »
There would be no colour left after sanding.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:55:22 pm »
Indeed, the water is the problem (not the stain itself). You could try and see if alcohol maybe works as well, in extracting the color (do not boil alcohol! highly flammable!) You could also, as suggested, sand the bow after the stain, but before the final finish oil/varnish. If you use 600 or even 800 grit, you will only sand the raised grain, and not the stain itself. You could also try to sand the bow AFTER the first coat of oil/varnish. The finish has then, hopefully, protected the stain, and only the raised grain without stain color will be sanded off.
Another option is to moisten the bow with tapwater, PRIOR to staining. Use a wet towel and moisten the entire surface. Let it dry, and sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Repeat a second time. Then, after the water and sandpaper have removed all the grain that could potentially be raised, you apply the water based stain.

Experiment a bit on some scraps of wood. One wood species probably react differently than another species.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »
Darksoul nailed it, wipe with water sand and repeat untill no more raised grain, then stain, but i have done like PD said as well and it worked fine, i'm to lazy for all that fine grit sanding, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:06 pm »
I had the same problem using water-based stain.  Thought i had it smooth as silk, applied the stain, then bummer.  did the steel wool/stain/steel wool cylce a couple of times, then said enough and put the poly on.  The poly really evened it up and made it nice and smooth.  Think i'm gonna switch to an oil based stain next time though.

Offline druid

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 07:13:17 pm »
Thank you very much for these advices my friend but I was hoping for some recipe for natural stain of some other type?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
You could try making a batch of your stain darker than usual, that way when you lightly sand it or steel wool it it will leave color in the wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:27:13 pm »
My last Osage bow had poplar tips and in the process of sanding the bow for final finish the poplar picked up the yellow color of the osage. In essence it was a sort of dry stain? How hard would it be to boil some walnut to the point of total dehydration (powder dry) and try a dry wipe with the walnut dust? I may be nuts but after witnessing the osage dust applied to a somewhat porous poplar it started my wheel turning with your question? Might be worth trying a dry application experiment????
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:09 am »
What if you cookd the walnuts in oil instead of boiling.  Possibly even grind it up, cook it with low/med heat, then filter through some cheesecloth?  Maybe linseed oil or tung oil would pick up the color?  I've been wanting to experiment with this and coffee beans (don't ask ::)).  Somebody who is knowledgeable in stains is probly reading this and getting a good laugh :P

Offline druid

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »
Well, it seems that of these advices I am able only to try boiling walnuts with oil. :o

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »
Druid, the water raises the grain, you need a spirit based dye. Smash up the walnuts and soak them in 'white spirit'(we call it over here,in uk) or turpentine, maybe its called mineral spirits in usa?   You may have to leave them there for days to get a strong colour, then sieve through a cloth, and apply to wood. I have never tried walnuts, but it should work....let me know if it does
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......