Author Topic: short billet help???  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Dazv

short billet help???
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:52:55 pm »
hi guys!!!

I have just been able to get my hands on some English oak. I have split out 4 stave's and 11 billets 6 of which are 29 inches long. So what i would like to ask is do you guys think it would be OK to just glue two billets into a steel pipe handle??? I don't really want to splice these billest as i don't want to loose and length when splicing.
Dose what I'm asking make sense???

Thanks so much for all the help

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: short billet help???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »
Dazv,  It makes sense to me, though I would suggest using one of the commercial takedown sleeves.   That would give the same effect, but be a little more polished.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »
Hi Ron, thanks for the reply I don't really want to make a takedown I would just like to get as close to my27 inch draw as possible. Do you think I could take a 6 inch pipe for a handle and glue in 2 inches of each billet so I can gain 2 inches to the finished bow? Thanks for the help
Darren

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:14 pm »
I think what you have in mind will work realy well. Just not sure how it will look unless you wrap the plpe in something. You could even glue something onto the pipe to build up the grip.

Steve Bennett

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »
Davz,   I just suggested the commercial takedown sleeve because it is already the right size and shape.   Any pipe would likely work, just take more effort to cover up.   
As an aside, the best shooting bow I ever made was the result of something similar.   I had a couple of pieces of wood (ipe as it turns out)  that were too short for splicing, but just right end to end.  I put them together with a BowHingeŽ and got and unbacked Ipe ELB.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »
thanks for the help guys.