Author Topic: Unique floppy rests  (Read 1920 times)

Offline jermcramp1

Unique floppy rests
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:38:52 am »
I just finished up my bow last night (its drying first coat of finish), its hickory with dark brown silk back, walnut tips and layered handle, I use a floppy rest but dont want to put a handle wrap on this one, and I dont want just a piece of leather glued to the side of the bow so I wanted to see if you guys had any bows without wraps i could peek at and see if I could get any ideas?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Unique floppy rests
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:14:14 pm »
Use  a piece of antler tastefully.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »
I am not sure how yo would do a floppy rest without gluing a piece of leather or using a grip wrap.  I don't wrap my grips either, but I usually shoot off the knuckles.  Glue doesn't like to stick to my oil finishes, so at one point I used a commercial flipper rest and had to hold it on the bow with grip tape, like you would put on a tennis racket.  Ugly, but effective.  I once made a rawhide flipper and strike plate that was essentially a 1" wide band of rawhide, wrwpped entirely around the handle and glued to itself.  I made a 1/4" wide spur by leaving a rounded bulge the bottom edge, about 1" long and 1/4" wide, then slicing front to back along the straight edge of the band about 5/8" deep.  I soaked the rawhide, placed the band on the handle with some Titebond II, with the spur positioned to be the rest, and trimmed the ends of the band to overlap over the front of the bow and held it down with tape.  I bent the spur out and trained a slight forward curve into it then left it to dry.  I fooled with it every day as it dried to maintain the desired shape as it dried.  When dry, I sanded it down and oiled it.  That bow is long gone and ai never got any pictures, but I'll try to sketch something up to make it clearer.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Jude

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:44 pm »
here's a quick and dirty paint sketch of the general idea.  When it's sanded and oiled, it blends pretty well with a light wood like hickory.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 02:21:30 pm »
Have you considered using a glove and shooting off your hand? That's essentially what a glove is, a little piece of leather between you and the arrow. That way you wouldn't have to glue anything ugly on to the side of your bow.

Offline Jude

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:32:56 pm »
Have you considered using a glove and shooting off your hand? That's essentially what a glove is, a little piece of leather between you and the arrow. That way you wouldn't have to glue anything ugly on to the side of your bow.

I've found that to be a lot less hassle too.

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:56 pm »
I have and do shoot of the knuckle quite a bit but my only issue is wearing a thick glove in winter...but I guess I could wear a golf glove and cut the fingers off my thick ones and wear it over the golf glove...huh...Got to think about that. 
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:52 pm »
Here is one I did a few years back.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:06 pm »
A cleaner way to create these rests is to make and glue on a wedge from wood or 3 layers of thick leather.  If you use leather, saturate it with superglue prior to and after shaping.  The glue will harden the leather to allow it to be worked with rasps and sandpaper.  The final superglue coating gives it a hard, durable finish that doesn't need to be "hidden" with a leather grip.

Offline Jude

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:53:52 pm »
Anyone have a link to find Ferret's Quickie Rest?  That one could probably be dressed up to look pretty good an a bow without a cut in shelf.