Author Topic: Ahhhh Yeah! Looky what i found!  (Read 3347 times)

Offline k-hat

Ahhhh Yeah! Looky what i found!
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »
Found this old fencepost last year in a thicket just on the edge of our subdivision, figured it'd make good firewood at the time.  It was tooo stinkin hard to cut, so I just left it in the garage.

Well, decided it was time to start on a new handle for my wife's spatula i been promisin, so i went and cut an end off to see if it would do . . .

Tain't no firewood there I tell ya!!!!!  Figure i've got a couple billets worth in there i can make a 60" bow from.  That sucker's gotta be 50+ years old. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ahhhh Yeah! Looky what i found!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »
Go find another so you know you have enough for a bow. That bugger is pretty narrow to get a split from. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »
I'll go give another look where i found it, i'm sure there's more lying around.  However, that cut end is the narrow end, the other is about 4x the cross section, so i figure i might can get it using the narrow end for the tips.  I'll know once i get into it. 

Either way, i'll go look again, if i don't need two for one, maybe i'll have two for two :laugh:  Thanks PD.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:43:03 pm »
I would bet that there are more just like it close by. Even if you can get a bow from one post, raw material gathering NEVER ends buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »
Right! I'm just beginning to realize that.  I've got so much wood, logs, staves, and scraps around that my wife is resembling a bobble head from shaking her head at me all the time >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:46:43 pm »
Keep collecting......you will need it. Just build more racks and stands to organize it.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »
Racks are definitely on my to-do list for the summer.

Meanwhile, i couldn't wait and went in the garage and cleaned up the post a little, found this . . . ouch :o

My drawknife is not happy with me.  Turned out it was just the tip of a nail that had broken off in there.   Here is what lies beneath all the deadwood:

Sorry for the poor pic quality.  The large end is about 2.5" across, the small end is about 1.75".  MAYBE i can split it down the middle for sister billets, but i don't know.     :-\   Think I'll go for a walk in a bit n see what i  can find.

If I did split it, should i use the band saw and try to follow the grain? 

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:06 pm »
Awesome find! I've worked some fenceposts like that before. Even won BOM with a bow from one. On that bow I just split it with wedges used the top and belly split to make a sweet shootin bow that took two deer this year :) Looks like you stumbled on some buried gold! Can't wait to see how it turns out for ya! ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 09:38:20 pm »
"Ahhhh Yeah!  Looky what i found!

...this old fencepost..."

Gotta add that to things only a bowyer would say.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »
That's for sure.  Reminds me of a post round here a while back that started . . ."you know you're a bowyer when . . ."  All kinds of funny but true stuff ;D

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:38 pm »
BTW, i was way too excited about this one, so i went ahead and chased a couple rings down the back  to see what i have.  Gonna do one more ring and call her done before i start drawing in profile, cutting, and splicing (may need to recruit some help for that!).  if it works out, she's gonna have a sweeeeeeeeet profile!  Should be able to get 64" out of it, plenty for 28" draw, even with a stiff handle  ;D   This may be the fastest bow i've ever done.  We'll see ;)