Author Topic: Rock hunting with Nativenoobowyer86  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Baldmoose

Rock hunting with Nativenoobowyer86
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:32:12 pm »
So the other day nativenoobowyer and myself decide to go rock hunting....  we went to a lake superior archeology display earlier that day and learned that the local rock around here was mainly Taconite, and agate.   
Most of the points there were made of this rock.  When we found out that the thunder bay area had once been known for its taconite deposits we decided to go find some the same day.   Didnt take long from getting out of the van and finding a nice band.  Guess we were lucky.  I was recently finding smaller chunks of this stuff all over down the creek and wanted to know where it was coming from. well we found it.   below is an example of what we found...  it was the first flake i took.   Sry for the dark color to the picture.  some of it was blueish, some purple and some black...    heres an example of the purple.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline stickbender

Re: Rock hunting with Nativenoobowyer86
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:57:54 pm »

How well does it knapp?  Have you tried heat treating any of it?  I wonder what the color change would be, if any?

Wayne

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
Verry cool!!  Nothing like finding your own rock, and if you find enough of it you will have some trade material!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:01:24 am »
Knaps very well... alittle tougher then other other rock but still knaps fine.... its reallly hard to see flake scars on this material... Tha band we found goes on forever.... dont think i could knap it all in a lifetime....  will be posting pics of some heads im working on with the material and will deffinately be posting some of this rock up for trade.
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:29 am »
That is some interesting looking rock. Looks like you've already knapped out a railroad spike from it. Lol.. Look forward to seeing the band. Out finding raw materials is as much fun to me as making something out of it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
Wow , Nice !  Great having un-limited rock.Get your supply built up while you can,you never know what tomorrow will bring.              '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington