Author Topic: fishtailing?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline bushboy

fishtailing?
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »
What's the main cause of f/t ?thx's bobbtjoe!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline macbow

Re: fishtailing?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:06:57 pm »
I believe the fish tailing has a lot to do with the spine of the shaft compared to the bow shape and weight. In bows with cut out shelves you can add or subtract pressure in the side of the bow.
Best to experiment, add several layers of tape does it get worse? Or better?
Arrow length can also be experimented with. Add or subtract point weight.
If you have a variety of arrows try each to see what helps.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:52 pm »
If at all possible watch closely to see which way it fishtails IMMEDIATELY as it comes off the bow.  When you have that figured out, come back and post your results along with whether you are left handed or right handed.  With that information we should be able to tell you if the arrows are too light or too heavily spined. 

Just in case you aren't sure about the meaning of "spine", that refers to how stiff the arrow shaft is.  Do your homework now and we'll walk you thru the rest! 

Good shooting!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:01 am »

Jim Hamm  covers that in his TBB I. ;)

I think he was adjusting the fletching to correct it.  Can't remember at the moment.  But spine
will affect it also.  Do you shoot off your hand, or a shelf?

Wayne

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:02 pm »
The bow that I just made is 62ntn bbelm semirecurve 50@ 28" bendy handle.I glue a little osage wedge for a arrow rest 11/4 above center and symetrical.the upper limb has a slight right twist at the tip that can't be fixed short of piking it.I'm right handed and now shoot a active release style I think it's called,that is slowly drawing to full and releasing when the flectch touches my cheech and thumb has a jaw bone anchor with out any hold time.the arrow alway break right then a little left,then rights itself and is very deadly out to 30 yards! I don't know the grain of the arrows I shoot,carbon express 30 to 50"bs are not as accurate as the heavier wheelie bow carbon express terminators that I have.the fletches are just under 4" long and half and inch high
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »
Sorry I made a mistake,the arrows alway break left and then right,thx's bobbyjoe!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:45 pm »
I have found that selfbows need to be shot a certain way and if done correctley will take a HUGE spine variance. If your grip isnt just right, if your elbow is locked or your bow grip is tight , or if you dont get a good anchor point your arrows will wag like a dogs tail. When Im "hot" I can grab a 25# spine variance and shoot them all like darts from the same 50# bow. If your spine is close then my guess is your form isnt. Keep your elbow down and be sure to feel even pressure on all three draw fingers, thats very important. If you vary the pressure on your grip by 1/8" up or down it can make your bow just spray arrows. I would play with those aspects and see what happens. Sometimes I feel we split hairs with arrow selection when really our form is to blame. I found that out the hard way and now have hundreds and hundreds of various arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »
The equal finger pressure tip work right away,now to get it program in my pea!thx's pearl drums bobbyjoe!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:14:30 pm »
 Tear it up buddy!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.