Author Topic: Indirect percussion  (Read 3288 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Indirect percussion
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:33 am »
Justr tried some inderect percussion. I like it!!!

Wonder if many of the points out there where made with inderect percussion and not direct percussion? I found I could really get points thin with this method and it was more precise too!

Anyone else use this method?

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Jimbob

Re: Indirect percussion
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:07 am »
I have tried it but didnt get very good results.  I had a hard time getting a flake to come off.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:23:30 am »
Did you set up your platforms well? If the platforms are set up then the flakes will run. I am using a bit different technique than others too. Check out allergichobit on YouTube. Using his style of flaking. He seems to use this on small point but I'm up gunning the Barton larger and getting good results with larger peaces.

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:40:29 am »
Long time no see there Tiller! I agree it thins faster and especially on less than desirable pieces that are so common here. I use an elk tine behind the knee and a whitetail billet. I need more practice for angle and control though. Take care!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:13:20 am »
Using it to good effect. Punches are great because of keeping width while getting thin.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »
Hey "D"! You just getting in from your honeymoon? :D. Looong time no see!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:55:21 pm »
@ D Tiller - watch allergichobbit on Utube - Jack Crafty here on PA - I watched his vid and have been palying with indirect ever since. I find just like you that my thinning goes a lot better. Ben

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:17:27 pm »
Yes Sir!

George turned me on to Indirect Percussion about a month ago.
It has really given me a Great Deal of control and my points are starting to look better.
I do love me some Indirect Percussion.

One thing I have found though is that I am still hitting the rock TOO hard at times.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
@Paul - Been back for a while but I've been working my but off with the business. Finally got a minute or two to work some on some points. Finding work is dominating my life these last couple years. Looking forward to the day I can hire some people and get a couple days off a week. Not going to happen too soon though. What'cha been up too?

@Guss - Yeah! I know what you mean. Just takes a tap from the baton at times, especially when working obsidian!!!!  :'(   

I am finding that I can actually use anything for indirect percussion. Using nails in end of sticks works just at well as antler tines.  I stick the Percuss-or in the crook of my knee just like AllergicHobbit but cross my leg to get a good clamp on the percussor. Maybe I should try building it up a bit for a better fit? Still working on larger indirect percussion methods though.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »
Just working mostly it seems. As always work gets in the way of everything. About to change jobs after fifteen years and hopefully get payed what i'm worth ::). I still find a little time to make an arrahead now and then. Don't think i'll ever put that down totally..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
Yeah! I know what ya mean about work. Be nice to make what you worth!

I too still get in some knapping once in a while but nothing like I used to. (sigh!) But there are benefits!  8)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
One thing I have found though is that I am still hitting the rock TOO hard at times.

Have you tried some of the rhyolite from Cipriano?  I could not hit it hard enough to do indirect percussion.  My lighter copper bopper was too light, first time that's happened.  I tripled up my leather over my thigh and still beat it to death doing regular percussion.  Only way I could drive a flake on that stuff.  But, with obsidian it is easy to hit too hard.

I'm trying to wean myself off the indirect a little in deference to the ishi stick.  Since then I have done some really bad knapping. :(  Hope to break out of that pretty quick before I ruin all my flint. ::)  I love the indirect though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 01:05:20 am »
Yes Sir George...

I could only get tiny little flakes off that Ryolite with Indirect Percussion.
Was able to get some pretty Robust points out of it with my heavier gear.

At the moment I'm down to Obsidian only as I have worked my way through that heated rock you send home with me.
In truth I'm giving it a rest as I broke off an obsidian point in my thumb last Saturday and have yet to get all of IT outa me... :)
Plus breaking rock was kinda consuming me there for a while, letting everything else fall behind.
So I'm back to bending wood.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 03:44:11 am »
Never tried ryholite but saw it being worked once. All I could think of was how painful it looked to work. Have to beat the heck out of it to make anything.

Had trouble working stuff tonight with indirect. Must have been doing something wrong but not sure what.