Author Topic: Brown recluse spider!  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Brown recluse spider!
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:57:37 am »
Anyone ever been bit?  One got me yesterday sometime or another,,Doctor gave me a big shot,handful of percripsions, she was even purty! Trade bow on hold again as it was my right salute finger !!  :'( :'(
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Brown recluse spider!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:26 am »
I run a pest control company, if you got bit in your house.....get it sprayed, and dusted, and treated under the house if you have a crawl space....I deal with the HOBO spider it's cousin... Yes I have been bit more than once.

Brian
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:10:47 am »
It got me out at the shop, Im callin the pest control guy in the morning  8)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:18:30 am »
Glad you got treated right away. I got bit on my inner left thigh , about half way in between my knee and my uh well little (wee) knee. I didn't get treated for a day and half.  Not good! It cost me half the football season my junior year in high school.  There is still a void in the muscle under the skin that I stick my pinky finger in to the first joint.  I reckon it could have been a lot worse though.  Josh

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:32:04 am »
Rick glad you got it checked out soon. We have them here, but stayed out of their way I guess.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:26 am »
I can't stress enough having the crawl space treated...they love the under side of houses. They also love any outside clutter (old logs, brush piles anything agaist the house that gives cover) Bet you can go around your property and find their funnel webs(they are a funnel ambush spider) Lot in common with a bow hunter...good luck it takes a bit of time to eliminate them.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:16 am »
I got clutter! I guess its time to do a major shop cleaning and de-junking. I have about 6 to 8 inches of crawl under the shop so ill make sure to get that doused good!  Thanks Brian!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:59:56 am »
Are they or are they not in Florida?  Anyone know for sure?  I thought I had one in the house last summer.
1’—>1’

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:22 am »
Absolutly they are in Fl,  lots of them up here in the N West part

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »
Vinemaple,
I raised three kids in black widow country and the exterminators told me arachnids(spiders) are very hard to kill.
Is that true?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »
Spiders can be difficult to control. Different companies operate very differentally from one another. I have a 50 gallon tank in the back of my truck, and spray once a month. (chemicals effectiveness lasts about a month in good conditions...EI... no rain, some will try to tell you otherwise they are lying!)) I know other companies use back pack sprayers or BG sprayers (hand pump) I think this is a joke, and a waste of your money. Depending on your personal situations I firmly believe in dusting the heck out of crawl spaces, as this kills on physical contact NOT chemical, and it never goes away UNLESS it gets wet, and there is NO resistence. Bifenthrin works well on spiders, and is my preferred chemical for them. Fogging attic crawls is also a good option, as long as the fog can be contained.

I watch "Billy the exterminator" and am constantly shaking my head. The show gives people the impression that a exterminator comes in with a vac, and squirt bottle in one trip, and everything is fixed.......That is a BIG LIE! You don't get to see the follow ups of a true exterminator......can make my job hard at times.....false impressions!

Lots of people are scared of chemicals....and they should be respected. Termidor is a very widely used chemical used for ants, and more for termites.....active ingredients are...fripronil...same chemical that is used in control of fleas for animals....you will know it as frontline. Then there is Imidacolprid (sp?) It to is used like the first, and you would know it as Advantage. So, the fear people have is the not knowing what is being used.....and they may just be using it themselves. All chemicals (for the most part) are multi-use, and labeled under different names, but the active ingredients, are used in food (farm) home pest control go hand in hand......pest control 101! :laugh:

One more thing try to stay away from the big companies, they have the name, and the turn over rate in employees to match. Try to find a local guy that takes pride in his work.....he will try ten times harder, he has to compete with the big names. He only has reputation to go on, NOT SOME BRAND NAME. Check around your town, and a few names will pop up, realestate offices can help with this too. Believe ME I know!

Brian
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:28:58 pm by vinemaplebows »

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 12:05:11 am »
I was taking a stroll in the woods today and i swear i've never walked through so many spider webs in my life haha. Don't think i was bit by anything though  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson