Author Topic: African species of bow woods?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
African species of bow woods?
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:52:06 pm »
My Dad is going on his second hunting trip to Africa and asked me if I wanted him to bring me home some bow wood. Is there any thing he should look for.

Also does any one have any info on aboriginal (primitive archery) from Africa. He mentioned bringing me back a bow made by the natives. How cool would that be!
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: African species of bow woods?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:54 pm »
Have him grab a Baobab for ya  8)  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:18 am »
Kris, anything from a relatively primitive culture would be cool. Your Dad might have a problem bringing raw wood back in the US  but I don't know that as fact.
  Where in Africa will your Dad be going?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:13:27 am »
Africa is a LARGE continent. Where exactly will he be going to?

Watch out for bringing back wood. It is often regulated by law; your father can get into real trouble when he brings back home the wrong (protected) species. In any case, make sure there is no bark left on the wood. I sneaked home some ebony myself, when I was in west Africa last summer. It is difficult to find any long bow-stave like pieces of wood. Plus it's hard to sort out which species of wood it is and if it's useful. Don't expect nice lumberyards with flat boards, sorted by species...

PS: baobab wood is no good for bows; extremely soft and weak.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
My Baobab comment was referring to a whole tree since they are so tiny...it was a joke
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:39:24 pm »
I'll be there on May and poke around a bit...  my trip time is pretty tight but maybe I can find a little time? I don't know how a guy could get a stave or lumber back without it costing a fortune but maybe something cool for a riser? I have no clue about Native bow possibilities??? We'll see :)

Something I did find out is that the oldest known arrows heads where found very close to the area I'll flying into "Richards Bay" ...  They were found in Sibudu Cave and date over 60,000 years ..  kind of cool
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:46:07 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 07:25:37 pm »
Talked to my Dad today and he is going Zimbabwe to the southern low veld. He told me he could get a stick of bow wood shipped back with his taxidermy. He said it would be treated. He also said he spent some time at the Zimbabwe museum his last trip and they had alot of native archery exhibits and he was gonna try to get me a bow  ;D Either way it will be pretty cool.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway