Author Topic: plans for a caul  (Read 2371 times)

Offline bbs383ci

plans for a caul
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »
Hi everyone new guy here, ive been looking at another forum when I found this one and have been nosing around reading posts about selfbows. I have only built one bow and it was a board bow red oak, sk I wanting to build a selfbow, I cut down a nice pin oak yesterday and got some good stages out of them stripped the barked a coated the ends just letting drip dry for a little while till I put one kn the hotbox to speed things up. 

My question is what is a good radius for a Gaul to add reflex to a bow can some of you guys.post some pica so I can get an idea of what y'all use.  Thanks in advance.

Dustin

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: plans for a caul
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:22 pm »
I use an ellipse not a radius so its a little wordy to explain !
Many folks just cut a stick thin enough to bend and play with it till they get something they like !
Usually progressively more reflex as you move away from the handle ! and usually not over about 3 inches total ! or for re curves something in the neighborhood of the radius of a 5 gallon bucket
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 06:44:04 pm »
So basically just get like a straight 2x8 and draw  something I like on it then cut it out with a routed?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:38:38 pm »
Yes
A 2x6 should be enough ,then screw it to another 2x6 so you can clamp side ways along with the reflex to straiten the side ways curves !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:45:03 pm »
Sweeet thanks Guy I appreciate the help.

There will probably be many more questions to come. ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
Gary Davis has a great selfbow building DVD for sale.  In it he explains his cauls and gives measurements for them.  That is where I made mine from.  You can get the DVD from 3riversarchery.  It would be very helpful.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:27:48 am »
Thanks for the info Osage, I have also ordered the first 2 tbb just waiting on them to come in, I'm sure those will answer a lot of my questions

Dustin