Author Topic: How NOT to draw a war bow vids  (Read 3069 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
How NOT to draw a war bow vids
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:00 pm »
As Balckhawk and I attempt to gather up some remaining pride and manliness enjoy our warbow draw fails.  ;)  Don't know how you guys do it.  kudos!!  * WARNING: turn the volume down if your kids are around  :-X 

Blackhawk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TytGVILaCBk
PAHunter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNZ_e-wvZE

Here are some bows we can actually draw:
Blackhawk - 230 yards (wow!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJZHX2gj-ok
PAHunter - 165 yards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jKgsn0u8gw
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Ian.

Re: How NOT to draw a war bow vids
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:35 pm »
Excellent videos, very manly. Could try starting the draw higher with a bit of rotation in your arm.

Keep it up.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »
Pretty humorous stuff Gents!!  (I think I heard BH mutter something around the 32 second mark  >:D)

Just makes me shake my head when I think about those Asiatic Horse riders could draw and shoot their 80lb-100lb horse bows...guess it takes a lifetime of shooting to be able to do what they did day in and day out.

Thanks for sharing guys~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:37 pm »
 :-[  :-[  :-\....oops...sorry about that  8)  :laugh:.....yeah i feel like a wuss....guess ill go back to my girly bow weights ;D...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »
Your not far off there guys.
Some of it is just confidence.
Like Ian says draw with the right hand a bit higher and then come down and back that last few inches.
I'd also suggest drawing without loosing is V bad, you're more likely to pull a muscle letting it down than just loosing.
I personally think starting with both hands low lets you build momentum as both hands come up and away from each other.
Try this patented Del the Cat training exercise.
Lean back into an open doorway with your elbows out to prevent you falling back through the door. Use you chest and arm muscles to lever yourself forward and backward. Shuffle your feet further forward so you lean back more to make it harder.... just don't fall back through the door!
It certainly works the muscles needed for those last few inches of draw.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:19 pm »
Del,  maybe you can comment on this, but i thought i read or saw somewhere that these guys (besides training from a very young age) actually drew the heavy warbow differently.  they kind of "stepped forward" into the draw, instead of pulling (and leaning as seen in the vid) back like we do with more conventional bows.  Am i mistaken?  If true, i can see how it might help BH and PA next time ;)  Though i already know they did better than i woulda! :o

Keep trying boys, i wanna see you yank that bad bow back with authority!!!

Didn't Hill hunt with a 90-100# bow?  From reading his stories, it sounded like he would even hold a second or two at times, AND pulled to his cheek, not chest :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:18:27 pm »
blackhawk aren't you from the black hills?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »
you guys don't look to far off, i think with some practice you could get it, don't hurt yourselves trying though
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:45:32 pm »
Blackhawk it looks like you are trying to make music on that thing  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline danlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »
Good luck! Makes my arm hurt just watching it. here's some bad advice: try taking a deep breath and holding it, (to stop the rib cage from compressing), step forward and lean forward (keeping most of your weight on the forward bent leg), then start the draw low and release when the bow is up at full draw (while still stepping and leaning forward slightly). Leaning forward and powering off the front leg works for me for heavy draws, (though I have never tried 100#s!). Nice to see a follow up vid of you guys letting some arrows fly. Del, I just did a few reps like you said - feels great right between the shoulders. I'm going to work on that. Maybe I won't have to cheat to get the big bows back.