Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Tiller check
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »
I started this pecan flat bow over the holidays and just now getting it finished. Its pulling 40# at 20" draw and braced at 3". I'm wanting to end up around 50# at 28". I think I need to remove some more wood near the handle on the left limb.
Thanks, Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline k-hat

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:17 pm »
Looks pretty good to me.  Right limb longer than left?  I dunno if this helps, but i ghosted a reversed image over the original to show how they're lining up.  Think this confirms your suspicion about that left limb.   Looks like maybe some scraping on the inner and middle thirds of that left side:

Is that heartwood on the riser, or a glue on?  Either way, the contrast is gonna look good when you get'r finished :)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
k-hat,
thanks for reversing the image that helps.
The limbs are the same length. The riser is a  scrap piece of black walnut .
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:20:28 pm »
Looks just fine! 8)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
Pop the brace height up a bit more and check again. Would say maybe just off the fades and then just long scrapes mid limb and see :)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:10 pm »
The right limb looks a bit stiff about one third from the tip. IŽd scrape this a little bit first. Then increase the braceheight to a full 6".

I presume the bow is made from a board and not a stave?

Try to take pictures from a 90 degree angle from the bow. The right limb now looks longer, which distorts tiller for the viewer.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »
I love it. Make the left limb the bottom limb and fire away. I have found that 40# @ 20" will usually get you a 45-50# bow in the end.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.