Author Topic: Warbow for a beginner?  (Read 5832 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Warbow for a beginner?
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:26:10 am »
Hi fellow archers!

Well, I'm new to the sport of warbow shooting and am currently without a bow of my own, however I have maintained an interest in the 100 years war for a while, especially the battles of Crecy and Agincourt and the part played by the longbow. I'm pretty much on a budget at the moment as I'm still without a summer job :(, but I'm looking for a bow of about 80lbs-100lbs at 32. I personally think this should be a good starting point?

Cheers!

TDA

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Warbow for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »
what weight bow do you shoot now? it usually helps if you can start with a lighter bow and once you have worked into that then move up 5 or 10 pounds hevier keep doing that until you reach your goal
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:05:46 pm »
I do not shoot warbows but 80 to 100lbs is a lot of bow and don't know many that can even pull that back

Offline imar

• DWS; Dutch Warbow Society
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:49:35 am »
You need the correct technique, then 80- 100 lbs is not a problem.
But without the proper technique you will soon ruin your shoulder.

So you need to find a way to learn how to shoot medieval style, 'in the bow'.
Using your back muscles instead arms/ shoulders.

Best I think is to find someone who can teach you.

Imar
Imar
DWS; Dutch Warbow Society

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »
Oh I know the correct technique, or the 'rolling loose'. I have this crappy ash self bow that  I bought a while ago; it pulls to around 34# at 60lbs, and it's like p nothing. Shooting a Victorian longbow or flat bow at 100lbs with standard technique would be near impossible!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:18 am »
So what bow or bows are you currently shooting? What drawweight is the maximum you shoot? You are confusing me a bit with that crappy ash selfbow numbers...I guess it says:

34#@28"
60"

Right? That would mean it has a 34 pound drawweight, with a drawlength of 28 inches. The bow length would be 60 inches then.

If you shoot 34 pounds now (or even 60 pounds for that matter), it will be nearly impossible to step up to 90 pounds straight away. The difference from 70 to 80 pounds is significant. From 80 going to 100 is huge. Get a good technique first with a lower drawweight (up to 50 pounds). Then slowly work your way up.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:38:12 am »
It would be helpful to know what your bow is at the minute, this sign '#' normally denotes weight. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:16:26 am by Ian. »
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:40:19 am »
60# - 70# @ 28" is a sensible start but you'll want a bow tillered out to say 31".
once you can comfortably manage the 60- 70 at 28 you can start pulling it back further, that will give another 10# or so.
You can't jump straight into the heavy weights until you know you can handle something reasonable first and build up your technique.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »
"You need the correct technique, then 80- 100 lbs is not a problem."

Darn straight. Even light target bows should be shot with the correct technique not just heavy bows or warbows. Using your larger muscle groups like your chest muscles, kinda your stomach/core too, and back muscles (which are alot stronger than your arms), in effect makes it possible to shoot higher weight bows. Not saying that your doing it wrong now or anything. You should open up the bow with your chest muscles, which will require use of your back muscles naturally. Start with your drawing arm elbow up high a bit and bring it down at full draw, it is bad/hard for your arm (*I believe*) to force your elbow down during the draw if it feels uncomfortable to do so. Or at least it is for me. I could have a bad elbow and not know it but it does not feel right to me. Warning though, this can sometimes cause a little more stress on the lower limb of a bow. To me it is easier though to focus the strength of the pull on my main muscle groups when I put my drawing elbow up a bit during the draw and bring it down at full draw. In one complete motion. No bull, I am a puny small, 150 pounds, arms about as thick as a redbull can kinda guy, and after "teaching my body" a couple years ago I can at ease draw, hold at fulldraw as long as needed to aim, and shoot accurately (as much as I am with a light weight bow ;D ) at about 30 - 40 feet up to 100# -110# at 28" - 30"... ...(as long as I can find a correctly spined arrow out of the pile of arrows on the floor...). So I am walking proof it is the technique not the man. I have seen and heard say that it is natural to stick your butt out a little bit too? LOL I don't know what thats all about but it seems to just happen.

EDIT: If your shooting 34# now, you will want to build up very slowly, as slowly as it takes. It is like playing an instrument, you gotta work at it everyday. If you slack off for a couple months, then you have to relearn some stuff sometimes. If you try to play a song that is to advanced for you, then it will just sound terrible and you won't be able to play it. The only way to play advanced songs is to master the simple songs first, that is the only way to get what you need to play harder songs. And then when you can play the harder songs, only when you can play them beautifully and perfect, then you can try to play the very hard master grade songs. So practice every day!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:42:49 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »
My first ever shot with a warbow was a 110lbr and I found it no problem after I was taught the correct technique. By just using my arms and drawing it in the traditional manner I could only manage about 28 inches, but by shooting in the bow I found 110lbs felt like nothing at all. Been hitting the gym for a good while though and I think those weighted pull ups and rows have built up the required muscle. But yeah, couldn't pull 110lbs to 32# by just using my arms and shoulder!!!!!