Author Topic: Little Pebble Point  (Read 1167 times)

Offline DraggingCanoe

Little Pebble Point
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:31 pm »
Made this little point out of a pebble that I got from a local riverbed here in NE Oklahoma. It's not perfect, there's some mass I couldn't get rid of and the orientation of the edges isn't great, but I'm pretty happy with it as I'm still learning. I did a little shallow notch work because I was determined to finally make a notched point. It ended up a just too small to hunt with.

Offline Tower

Re: Little Pebble Point
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »
Looks like several points I've found. Ever tried putting a little heat to your stone. It might help you in the thinning stage. Your doing really good for a newbie.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »
Thumbs Up DC.  A buddy told me one time what was really important about making points was to thin the base enough to get it on a shaft.  Looks like you pulled it off. Cool you're knapping found materials.  8) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline DraggingCanoe

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:38:00 pm »
Thanks guys. I haven't tried heat treating yet, because I have a very limited supply of material right now, plus I don't know if it was done back in the day. Is there any evidence for it? I'm doing my best to keep it all abo. This point was done with a small hammerstone, an antler tine and a little bit of work with a whitetail billet.

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »
Yes, people have been heating stone for thousands of years. Even the natives here heated stone when necessary. Not all stone tools were heated. Heating the stone makes it brittle, in a manner of saying. Some knives & hand tools were knapped out of raw stone for durability.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »
Looks like you are on a roll, lately.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DraggingCanoe

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:15 pm »
Yeah, and it feels great! Thanks for the info Tower.