Author Topic: any thoughts  (Read 1611 times)

Offline crooketarrow

any thoughts
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:51:40 am »
  I put a rattler skin on a OSAGE BOW but on the last coat with SPRAY POLY I did'nt shake the can enough and got a white stray on the top limb. Is there anything I can remove it with. I try 000 steel wool a little did'nt seem to work. I'm not a fan of POLY but cover skins with it.
  Any thought on how to get rid of the white looking spray film.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: any thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:13 pm »
I would think you could use a courser grade of steel wool essentially removing the coat then polish out with progressively finer grades of steel wool and begin again. 
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »
I would question why its white. Even unshaken it should be clear. Usually unshaken cans just splatter rather than spray. Is the urethane fairly fresh?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »
  Yea PEARL it splaterd white some but mosty a white spray. I already put on 2 coats. Put well shaken no problems. I got it a cuople weeks ago at lowes.
 YEA STEVE I already though of that but Not way it will get down into the small cracks. I've never steel wooled a skin and don't want to dull it any by steel wooling to much.
  Anyone know of anything I could put on it to remove the poly.  I uselly cover skins with varafane. I've sealed dozens of skins with varafane never had any problems. I've sealed a few skins before with poly so thats what I got.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:08:38 pm »
Hmmm? Seems like "someone" just asked the same question yesterday... did you try using acetone,denatured alcohol,or mineral spirits?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31790.0.html

I always use tru oil...its much better at filing in and making a smooth finish over a skin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 04:07:09 pm »
I wouldnt trust anything to remove it. It will either eat your skins or eat the glue holding them. Anything nasty enough to chew up urethane is too mean for my tastes. Leave it as is, or try a splatter finish with satin from 14-16" away. It may hide the white spots some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:31:14 am »
   I ust steel wooled it ,it dulled it so I just did the whole skin looks ok other than a little dull. But looks OK.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:48:48 am »
Good. I bet the critters that you whack with it will never know the difference!