Author Topic: Bow scale accuracy  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Keenan

Bow scale accuracy
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
I have read several times where people have talked about there scales not being accurate. I felt it may be helpfull to mention that it is easy to check. I was concerned about this last spring so I simply took some steel weights and weighed them on the bathroom scales and they were what they were marked so I hung them on the bow scale and found to my surprise that my scale was fairly accurate.
 Be sure to check it over the full range.  30, 40, 50, 60, and so on.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bow scale accuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 11:49:59 am »
I swithced to two-decimal place digitals and never looked back to spring scales for that very reason Keenan. I still have my spring scales for back up. Afterall, digital is digital and crap happens! Your full range comment is dead on. I had a set that was accurate up to 40#, then they went haywire.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:35:18 pm »
Digitall is the way to go. My spring scale is able to be calibrated by turning a screw, and it frequently would get out of adjustment. The Digital is spot on, lighter, smaller and far more acurate.
 Do a draw force curve on the same bow with both types and the curve from digital is always smoother.
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:23 pm »
that might be why I've been struggling to get arrows spined to what I have thought was a certain draw weight on the bow. I use a  spring scale as well. What might be a good source for a digital one?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Christophero

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:00 pm »
I purchased a Berkley digital fish scale some years back to weigh the coyotes I was shooting.  Then, it graduated in to my bow scale.  It was rated for 50# but I have tried it up to 65# and it was working fine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »
Get an x-spot from any archery supplier on the web. Its worth the $45 in my book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:10 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I will definetly test mine. What does a digital scale use to measure weight and convert it to a digital number?

I also wondered what the weight difference is at a certain draw measured with just a hook, as compared to 3 fat fingers.