Author Topic: Need expert opinions - new photos added  (Read 5199 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need expert opinions
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »

"Gardening and selfbows go hand in hand...at least for me. Good luck with that.   Jawge"

That was funny Jawgey!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 02:55:11 pm »
I have done exactly that on a few bows, like 3 maybe. They all still shoot and I did exactly what you did to fix them, superglue. I am with Pearl here and am sure you can leave them as is and recomend it. ( unless you dont care about the bow and are just wanting to use it to learn on with belly laminates, In which case I say go for it! ) If you go the belly lam route, Maybe a lam of bamboo? Its already thin, flexiable, a proven belly on many stlye bows, and you could just feather the boo into the limbs without actually cutting into the limbs and really potentially damaging the tips with unnecessary wood removal. I just get nervous cutting into the tips like folks are saying only because of how difficult it sounds like it could be, easy to screw up, and once done, you cant undo it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DQ

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Well boys, I carefully strung the bow... and it scared me: looked dangerous.  My bows are made to shoot and like "tomato stake George" implied, I don't need a wall hanger, the bow racks are full already.  So, I'm in the process of "unflipping" the tips.  I'll go real slow with it.  If this works, and I don't see anymore damage, I'll do an underlay to seal up the deal.  If I can save it for a shooter, all's good.  If not...tomato stake!  I'll let you know in a week or so.

Thanks for your help, everyone.  There is more knowledge and help available here than anywhere.  Great forum!

Darryl

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Perfect-o! It will be fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DQ

Re: Need expert opinions - new photos added
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
I carefully un-flipped the tips on this bow with a heat gun and glued on an underlay of HHB about 1/16 inch thick and 4 inches long.  After stringing it up, it felt stiffer than before.  I worked the limbs on the tillering tree and got it back to full draw again. It' been shot some and now it pulls 62# @ 28" and has 1/8 inch positive tiller.  Exactly the same as before I cracked the limbs!  I think I successfully fixed this bow and made a shooter out of it again.

Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas.  This project turned out even better than I had hoped.

Darryl

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »
Told you it wouldnt work.............or wait..........

Offline Dazv

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »
What a great save!!! I think it looks even better now than before.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:45 pm »
See, you can put that wood back!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
Here are a few pics of a BBI I built last summer. I wanted to bump the weight up to 60# so I added the osage lams. It worked perfectly. Your underlays would be much the same. Also, thats my tip flipping rig. It makes a n ice round'ish arc. Its a 1 x 6 with a 5 gallon bucket traced on it.

Pearl them underlays are sweet. If you use a nice form like in pearls pics you will have less chance of raising a splinter when flipping tips.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair