Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle Help  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Boudreaux

Crepe Myrtle Help
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:45:12 pm »
I need some help. I've got a Crepe Myrtle stave that I cut a little while ago and it got lost in the corner and and just now getting around to it. I have never worked any white wood before, only osage. The stave I have is about 65 inches. I am looking for a 50lb at 27in bendy handle bow. I think I am gonna try about a 56-58 in bow. First thing is that I left the bark on.... So now I have to get the bark off. I have no idea what I am doing.

A: Bark on
B: Bark removed, Assuming sap wood showing
C: Carefully removed A&B

I assume that I need to go to C over the whole length of the bow? Or can I just go to B?

Next question is what width should I make the limbs?

Crepe Myrtle stave on right

Thanks,
Boswell

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
Re: Crepe Myrtle Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:36:18 am »
Hey Boswell

Never worked Crepe before but from just looking at it, A is the bark, B is the inner bark (or liber, or phloem) which is prolly pretty soft and needs to be removed. Should go down to C for the whole back of the bow although just to the right of C on your pic it seems like you already went down to a lower growth ring. If so, you should chase that lower ring for the whole back, being careful not to cut down further. I have no idea if 56'' is pushing it for crepe at 27'', I'll let more knowledgeable folks steer you for that one.
Cheers!
Quebec, Canada