Author Topic: Glue strength Question???  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Glue strength Question???
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »
Hey everyone,

I am planing to make a "light" warbow that is about 80-85 pounds at 30". I am planning on making it from hickory backed osage.  My question is, is tb3 strong enough to hold the laminations together for a bow this strong or should I go with a epoxy.... Any input would be great! Thanks.

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Glue strength Question???
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:05:09 pm »
Prepare both surfaces well and you will have no problems at all. I have zero "warbow" experience, just plenty of glue experience.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:29:02 pm »
Sounds good Pd thanks for the advice.

Jon

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:44 pm »
Yes, TiteBond 3 is plenty strong enough. IF properly applied. And that is a huge if, actually :P Most titebond glue failures can be explained by incorrect application of the glue, rather than the glue itself.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
Care to elaborate? I have use tb3 and tb2 many times, but never for laminations , and I have two that i plan on doing in the near future... I know that tb3 need two perfectly smooth surfaces and for laminations should be wrapped instead of clamped to get good even pressure along the whole limb... Do I need to know anything else?

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:58:07 pm »
Light to moderate clamp pressure, very even glue coverage on BOTH pieces, and I sand my surfaces with 80 grit lightly. I believe "smooth surfaces" really means flat, well mated surfaces. Thats why I choose to lightly sand. I also prefer 2" c-clamps and spring clamps over rubber hose or tube. I have 30-35 of them I use every few inches up and down the limbs. Also be extra, super darn sure your mating surfaces are flat and not convexed or concaved. That will blow a backed bow quicker than the "wrong" glue will. After Im done securing it with clamps I like to peer all the way around the rig a few times to be sure glue is oozing out and I can see no air at all between backer and core. Then just twiddle my thumbs for 24 hours while it dries.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:33 pm »

I totally concur with totally with Pearl Drums! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »

I totally concur with totally with Pearl Drums! :)

Poor fellow !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !