Author Topic: dalton question  (Read 1045 times)

Offline iowabow

dalton question
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:24:06 am »
On a Dalton there is a bit of fluting on some.   How do I flute that point.  Do I ishi stick it or do I hit the nipple with my bopper.  Do I use a large one or a small.  I was thinking of a point in the 280 grain range or like 4 to 5 inches long.  I have not done a lot of fluting so I thought I would give a clovis and dalton and a couple other point styles a try.  Also I see at the tail that the sides are narrower.  I am guessing that it was to increase the crest so the flute would travel better?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline piper

Re: dalton question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:15:13 pm »
Iowa.....Have you watch Jeff Gateway on you tube......look up clovisknapper on youtube.....he talks about how they are made...Jeff makes very good videos....Hope this will help...........................Curt
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:33 am »
John I've done a little bit of hand fluting...it's tricky. You need REAL good convexity and a good smooth and even preform. Any high or low spots will stop the flute right there. Also you have to get the nipple just right for the type of stone your working. There is alot of good videos out there to help. I really like all of clovisknappers stuff. He's from around my hometown of Jonesboro AR. Wish I would have known about him while I still lived there  ::)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:58:27 am »
Oh yeah, as for the tail being narrower....Im pretty sure that stems form the way the points were used. The flute was to aid in hafting by thinning the basal area and the part of the tail was usually heavily ground and slightly narrowed for the hafting. I think clovis was mostly a spear point. Think Neanderthal.  ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:08:28 pm »
Thanks Will
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!