Author Topic: Know How to Make a Water skin?  (Read 13745 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Know How to Make a Water skin?
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:32:24 pm »
Do any of you really primitive fellows know how to make a waterskin? I've searched the internet and haven't quite found an explanation of the process.
Plays With Bow and Arrow

Offline BearG

Re: Know How to Make a Water skin?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:57:17 pm »
I'm not totally sure but I think they are made from stomachs and then hide wrapped.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 03:41:09 am »
My understanding is that they where also made from stomach and covered with leather, or just leather with the inside water proofed with resin. The opening was made using a vertebral or horn, made round and smoothed with a groove cut all round its outside, it was places into one of the open ends in the stomach, or the opening left in the leather and then sealed with sinew raped around it that shrunk into the groove, maybe resin was also used. The other end of the stomach was folded on its self and tied shut with sinew, maybe sealed with resin as well. A leather thong with a knot or a wooden plug was used to seal the hole in the bone or horn. Hope that helps some.
Bushman

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:51 am »
Back in the day, water skins (rawhide water containers) were only meant to hold water for a day or less.  Wine keeps longer but not much.  Maybe a few days.

If you apply rosin to the inside of the skin, the skin will not absorb the liquid as fast, so the contents will stay fresher longer.

Skins were made from stomachs and other natural "bladders".  Even large fish bladders were used.  The openings were tied shut with moist rawhide or sinew.  Straps were made from gut or whatever cordage was available.

The best resources for information about water skins is from areas around the world were rawide containers are still used.  These areas are usually very poor, undeveloped, and rural.  Sometimes you can find info in documetaries.  It has taken me years to gather what little info I have.

The preferred method of water storage was in gourds, pottery, or wood containers (bamboo or cane).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »
Thanks guys.
Plays With Bow and Arrow