Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Lone500

Howdy
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:44:02 am »
Now that i figured out where to post figured i would do a little introduction.

Name is Leon and i live in Saluda, North Carolina. Age=22

So ive progressively became more interested in ancient technologies over the years. Probably started growing in me when i was a kid with my uncle making gunpowder from scratch, and making snares and traps and all that. and oh ya fire. i was a hell of a little firebug, still am kinda  :P

Ive always had some interest in archery, probably my indian/english blood heh. Ive never really had much opportunity for it as a kid let alone money for it. But one thing i do have around me is wood. Not really having much wood working experience (most of any of my fabrication experience is with sheet metal, was thinking maybe i could make some kind of broadhead later on) so i figured i better learn how.

So to start with i went out in the woods with my chainsaw and found me a good ol hickory since if i have anything its hickory and locust. Anywho i cut it according to moonsign and split. the really nice looking half i submerged in the pond and the other half i split. one staff came out kinda knotty and with a slight twist in the top and bowed. maybe make a good short bow but kinda funny peice of wood. But not having any experience to temper my eye i simply sat it aside for now and went on to its sister staff. This piece has a couple pin knots but nothing to bad.

The hickory staff started with a slight recurve and has deepend the recurve a little but it hasnt twisted or bowed or anything. So right now ive got a nice strait 76'', 1 3/4 wide staff that is anywhere from about at least 7/8 to 1 1/2 on the belly. ive cut and filled the belly a little cutting it down and evening some but just a bare start really.

This will be my first bow and im really enjoying doing it. even if it will end in the problem of string and arrows haha.

I have read tons of info on this site and it seems to a nice place to be with mature people with similar interests. Cant wait to get some stuff done so i can make pictures. of course i just cant wait to shoot an arrow with a wood bow either.

anyway its late and this post is pretty large for something i usually do so goodnight  ;D
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Jimbob

Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:15:30 am »
Cool, welcome to PA.  I live in Fayetteville and I think you dont live to far from Pat B.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
Welcome to PA, Leon. I live in Brevard. We have quite a few like minded folks around this area. Near the end of July I will have the 6th annual Patty's Camp-o-Rama and Primitive Skills weekend. You are welcome to join us on my 25ac south of Brevard for primitive camping, good food, people and primitive experiences.
  Hang around and enjoy this site. We look forward to your contributions.

Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lone500

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:05:26 pm »
Thanks guys, and ill def try to make it to the Pattys Primitive Party  8)

I think im roughly an hour east of you Pat. At least by motor transportation, may take a little while longer to walk it  ;)
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:08 pm »
Thats about right, Leon.  I'll start a thread when we get closer to time with all the info and directions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:15 am »
Welcome Leon,glad to have you around. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good