Author Topic: Plains warclub  (Read 2334 times)

Offline uwe

Plains warclub
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:31:49 am »
As I wrote in the thread of "Plains Warshirt" I`ll show from time to time some of my plainsitems.
Here is the warclub. What is not correct is the head of granite (don`t know if it is this stone). A sandstone should be the correct stone. It can be worked into shape with flint by picking. The shaft is sewn into rawhide it is decorated with red died quillwork and horsehair.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Plains warclub
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »
"Uwe" done good bud!   8)  I really like the head and the cleanness of your rawhide stitching on the handle.  Quill wrap is stellar and something I really want to try my hand at...just waiting for spring when my Father "removes" a few Porkies from the Cabin property.

Any tips or tutorials on how you shaped the head of you club?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »
Nice attention to detail.  Beautiful.  Classy.   :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »
Really nice, Uwe. I don't doubt that Granite might have been used there was plenty in the stream beds.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 08:47:51 am »
Thanks for taking notice of my item. Sure there are enough in the streams, but to bring them into this shape is not easy with primitive machines.
I used for shaping a grinding stone which is "Widia" drills. Its a soft stone for tools to grind. If you use normal steel on it it is quickly worn down, but the grinding of glass and such stones does not damage it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:59:53 am »
Very nice,love it. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:58 am »
That's absolutely beautiful. I've been wanting to make one of these for a while now. Nice job!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:14 am »
uwe,  I don't mean to infer that plains tribes did used granite but I can tell you that prehistoric NAs did in fact work igneous rack.  They made winged bannerstones that go on atlatls for centuries.  My point is it is plausible.  The tech works.  Go the to the cave man section of this site and look at a winged bannerstone.

again great work.