Author Topic: Holes in homemade broadhead noise  (Read 3261 times)

Offline jermcramp1

Holes in homemade broadhead noise
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »
I just cut out a dozen broad heads from skill saw blades and might need to drill a couple small lightening holes in them, will they whistle or make any more noise I need to be worried about? Or I guess I could drill the holes in the tang?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Holes in homemade broadhead noise
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »
Already back @ it huh Papa?   ;D  Get that new mama and babe set up and you'll be able to find some time, I've had two as babies.

anyway, no it shouldn't make a diff.  I've tried to make whistlers, w/ little luck.  Let's see some pics.

good luck and have fun, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »
haha, Ya I chased a ring and got outlined bow #4, and cut out the bh's yesterday, its been a long sleep deprived week! just got back to work today. I'll throw up pics when I get a chance...
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:05:02 pm »
You can incorperate the holes so they line up along where the shaft will be to use when binding with sinew. I've never noticed any noise from holes in broadheads. It might have more to do with speed of the arrow and my arrows don't go very fast!  ;D I think if you do hear noice from them you can campher the edges of the holes a little to eliminate it. I've heard of folks doing this with slotted broadheads.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:40:25 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
The way I see it is by the time they hear the noise they should already be dead unless shooting longer distances. :-\

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »
Best way is to experiment. have someone stand halfway downrange (off to the side, behind something) and fire a few. See if they hear anything. Some friends and I do this to check for fletch noise.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »
You ain't gonna have any trouble jermcramp, but if you're still worried, drill a hole in two or three haft em up and shoot em.  You should be able to hear it if it's making any noise.  Some of the original trade points had holes in them and were strung together for trading.  I'm sorta surprised that Eddie hasn't posted here, he makes bhs w/ a hole in them.  Do what Pat said and incorporate the hole into the hafting process.  I've made them in front of the shaft and hafted through and I've made them on both sides of the shaft and wrapped through to hold the head in place.  They looked pretty good in the scale pic, good luck and post pics.  dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)