Author Topic: knox gelatin as hide glue  (Read 2995 times)

Offline swamp monkey

knox gelatin as hide glue
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »
I took a tip on using knox gelatin as hide glue.  It works.  However, it congeals really fast.  Is there a way to slow that process so you have time to work?

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: knox gelatin as hide glue
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:23:12 pm »
I found the same thing to be true, maybe I didn't prep it correctly but after the short open time and the "clumps/balls" I won't be using it again anytime soon.  I'll stick with my own homemade fish bladder/hide glue in the future.  Hope you get some answers for your issue and if not, whip up some of your own hide glue, it's easy.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
I have my glue in a small container in a crock pot of warm water while I'm using it. This keeps the glue warm runny untill you are finished and ready to freeze it. I'm getting ready to sinew back the yew bow I have in the buildalong next week end. I'll have pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:29 pm »
My wife already has a hide glue warmer in the kitchen for me to use. Although she calls it a candle warmer. She is so confused.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »
LOVE that!