Author Topic: preparing bow back for sinew  (Read 1659 times)

Offline luke the drifter

preparing bow back for sinew
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »
this has probably been talked about by other members of this community.  would regular soap and water sufficiently degrease the back of a bow or do i need to use something like acetone?

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: preparing bow back for sinew
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:07 pm »
Personally, I prefer denatured alcohol over acetone for all degreasing purposes in the garage, including prepping bow backs for sinew. Pat B has a good buildalong of his sinew-backed yew bow.  I think he used boiling water.  Don't forget to roughen up the surface of the wood prior to degreasing.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:53:35 am »
I roughed up the back of my bow with a toothing plane blade but you can use a hacksaw blade turned sideways and dragged across the surface of the back like you use a scraper. Then I lightly sanded the back to remove any left over scrapings. While rehydrating the sinew I wet the bows back with warm water then washed it well with Dawn dish soap(original Dawn is the best grease cutter) and rinsed it with boiling water(watch your fingers,don't ask!  ::) ) I then blotted the excess water off of the bow and set it up to begin sinewing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 06:50:06 am »
I always use acetone and never had a problem. I like Pat's way of washing the back of the bow to clean and get the wood to pucker up  for hide glue.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »
hey pat,

i like your idea more because of not having to use harsh chemical like denatured alcohol or acetone.  after you blot the excess water off, do you apply a layer of hide glue as a base for the sinew?  the reason i ask is will the back still be wet and would that affect adhesion of the hide glue and sinew?  Would that even matter?

luke