Author Topic: Glue for snake skins on boo?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Tim B

Glue for snake skins on boo?
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »
What kind of glue do you guys use for gluing snake skins on boo? I have heard of CA glue but how do you do it without your fingers staying attached to the skins? I have a boo backed massa deflex reflex that turned out real nice with the boo mottled but a piece of it lifted that is 1 1/2" by 1/8" and I want to use skins rather than wrap it for the fix.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Glue for snake skins on boo?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »
I use tightbond watered down just a little bit for gluing skins on wood bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Tim B

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:45:11 pm »
Did it clear up enough for the color of the skins to come through without changing it too much? I have titebond III but thought it would turn the color a yellow tone when dried.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:22:03 pm »
I used TB II and I couldn't see it after it was dry.  I've used it with rattlesnake, corn snake, and black snake and all turned out good.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:16 pm »
I use TBII for putting skins on also. have not had an issue yet.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »
Thanks guys for the information. I think the skins will look better than a thread wrap and have wanted to try skins for a while now.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:00:47 am »
I'm assuming you lifted a splinter of bamboo?  If so don't rely on snakeskin to hold it down.  Snakeskin only serves two purposes, protection from moisture and eye candy. IMHO,  Josh

Offline Tim B

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:06 am »
I thought about it and decided to wrap it with serving string instead. I'll use the CA to put a coat of glue over the wrapping and shoot the bow and see what happens. The splinter lifted close to where my hand grips the bow so it shouldn't loose much in performance and hopefully hold the splinter in place. I would rather shoot the bow with something tried by others that has worked than try for a pretty bow that might fail.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 06:19:15 am »
Yep, no way will a snake skin hold down a splinter. If the bow lifted a splinter you definately need to glue it back down and wrap very tightly with strong thread or use sinew which will dry clear and shrinks as it dries really 'clamping' the area. The bonus of using sinew is that if it moves or starts to lift again you will see a white line appear on the sinew where there is movement.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:09:27 am »
  MIKES right snake skins won't add any add vanage other than looks or over sinew to help keep it dry. Super glue it and it looks suckie but you'll have to rap it. Use sinew it's way tuffer than anything else. Plus you can strip it down to small tread size where it's not as nosieable.
  But you could super glue it down and it your skins really thick. Who knows you can try it and see. If not you'll have to remove the skin and tie it down. Python's are really thick skined. But it will mainly depend on the supper glue.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Tim B

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:18:07 pm »
I am definitely going with gluing the splinter back down and then wrapping over and gluing that as well. I really appreciate all the help from you guys and am glad I didn't waste time with trying the snake skin only to have to remove it afterwards and taking a chance on the splinter getting bigger. I was just shooting in this bow when I heard the all famous "tick" and am glad it was only a splinter instead of separation of the boo. I really like the way this bow has turned out so far and hope it makes it through the splinter. It shoots smooth and fast with a 550gr arrow.