Author Topic: Mindless Chipping/Breaking  (Read 2032 times)

Offline nlester

Mindless Chipping/Breaking
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:23:25 pm »
I just started flintknapping within the last month or so.  Took a small bucket of rock this afternoon and reduced most of it to rubble.  As I was working, I was thinking that I have no plan or strategy, I'm just mindlessly breaking perfectly good Burlington Chert that someone else could make good usable points out of.  Someone please assure me that it gets better.   :-\

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: Mindless Chipping/Breaking
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:58:08 pm »
I started off the same way.. took me a while and finally the light switch flipped and I was knocking points out right and left.  once you really understand it you will me making piles of points.  dont get discouraged.  slow down and analyze each hit and learn your angles.  It just takes time.  best of luck to you- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 12:58:23 am »
yeah it get way better,just slow down,an stay focused on the task at hand.When driving flakes off,make sure you have some good platforms,an dont forget to grind them.You said you have some good burlington,did you buy it.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:10 am »
Been there. Don't worry about the waste, it's the only way to get the practice and experience. You can always put better pieces aside for later. I would watch some videos on YouTube and isolate one thing at a time to work on and then progress from there. You are going down the same path that a lot of folks have been down or like me still there.  You'll get, just keep at it.

Take care
Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:52:55 am »
Don't worry about the rubble. We've all been there , sometimes we seem to revisit . Keep trying & before you know it your making worthy points.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline nlester

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:57:56 am »
I appreciate the responses.  I'm going to stay with it.  Just seems I'm wasting some pretty good rock in the process.  Bareshaft12, the rock was given to me by some friends that knap.  They've been very helpful.  Its getting to the point that I'm going to have to get some more rock if I wanna continue the journey.  Looks like I'll have some osage staves for trade real soon, for some more rock.  Thanks again for the positive encouragement. 

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:29:54 pm »
What is it about this highly addictive drug that makes us trade our wealth (osage stave) for the chance to make gravel?!?  ??? :'( :D

Keep at it, nlester. I broke so many good pieces of chert when i first started, that i almost gave up 20 times over. After only 4 years my debitage pile out back is twice as big as it should be, but I'm making decent stuff now. If you are persistent, it will all come together. Do yourself a favor andsave a couple finished pieces from each year. That way you can look back and see your progress.

This hobby can be very theraputic, or very stressful! Make it what ya want.

Scott

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »
stick w/it Nlester.  Sit down w/ one of your knappin' buds and have them show you a thing or two.  I agree with all that's been said to now on this link.  Keep @ it. 
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:59 pm »
Keep at it man! Weve all been there.  ::)  Somebody told me once that you have to go through a ton of rock to get good, LITERALLY . HAng with it and try to find some local material you can collect yourself if at all possible. Its WAY easier on the pocketbook.  ;D
~Will
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »
If you are worried about busting up perfetctly good rock try out some bottle bottoms or 1/4 in plate glass until you get the feel of things. Paleomanjim or Allergichobbit on YouTube are both good places to start.  Since I do not get to go on regular rock gathering expeditions and I rely on folks to send me or bring me stuff I usually save every little flake that I think I can make something out of.  I have been solidly knapping for about 10 years and still have a lot of learning left to do.  Good luck in your new addiction, Uh - um adventure!

Offline nlester

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »
Thanks for all those that have responded.  It's greatly appreciated.  I most definitely needed some reassurance.  Thanks again! ;)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
I had a friend give me a bunch of flakes,I learned pressure flaking before I learned percussion,Then I learned a bit of percussion,then I learned to spall out big flakes from big rocks and so now I can do it all okay,I of course did it backwards but I'm there now. I learn alot every time I go around other accomplished knappers and watching youtube videos has broadened my understanding considerably. It's a journey. Guys that start right progress much faster than I did. It can be aggravating,fun,addictive.  You will be feeling good when you can make good working arrowheads and go shoot stuff with them. Very satisfying. Keep going.  Best Regards  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington