Author Topic: My new light weight elk camp setup  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
My new light weight elk camp setup
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:15 pm »
I decided to try my hand at making a hammock and tarp and this is what I got ;D I got some ripstop silnylon for the tarp and regular ripstop nylon for the hammock I have never used my wifes thread injecter so that part was kinda sloppy ::) :-[ but I did a rolled hem on all of it and injected some reinforcments at the corners of the tarp and some mule tape loops and set it up. Man these hammocks sure beat sleeping on the ground!If you lay sideways kinda you get a real flat lay rather than the bannana lay ;D I almost passed out in it after a minute or two ;D. Should work ok for september weather in my neck of the woods.

And here is one of my boy hanging from the bunk bed right before he passed out lol

Thanks for looking

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline cracker

Re: My new light weight elk camp setup
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »
Cool set up looks like you're sidekick has already taken over, you may have to make another.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:28:24 pm »
I've always liked that kinda rig, nice job.   8)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:05:17 am »
Thanks guys I never really liked the yard type hammocks as they kinda make you feel like a bannana but this kinda setup relly is comfy! and you lay very flat at about a 30 deg. angle ;D Thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:51:39 am »
Josh,
I got a commercially made one over a year ago.  Spent 5 days on a horseback trip in the Bighorn Mts. 
Slept in the hammock every night.  Best nights in the woods for years.  I have had a hip replaced and the hammock was better than a cot in elk camp.    Air flow around you can be cool, but I put a reflective windshield cover in the bottom and a thin pad and it helped a bunch.
You'll love it!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:02:12 am »
Good job there Josh !! Looks comfy and restful  :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:23:04 am »
josh, my wife said she is jealous..she loves a hammock....that is a great set up...when you get a chance i want to know how it work for you.that is some thing i could do out here in the high desert...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »
Kpete I agree it is very comfy! Not sure why I slept on the ground for so many overnighters ???

thanks cip I actually took it out the other night to try my mummy bag out in it at around 9:30pm and woke up at 4:00am the  next morning! My wife was like where the heck did you go lol ;D

John it was really easy to make if you interested in making one let me know and I can give you more details or there is lots of info on the internet :D thanks again for looking

Josh