Author Topic: Narrow osage  (Read 2211 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Narrow osage
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »
So I've finally decided to build one of these osage bows everybody keeps talking about.  I got a narrow stave from nugget a while back, which already had a ring chased down about half its length.  It's got a little bit of twist, but nothing crazy and some natural deflex throughout most of its length.  My main issue is that it's really narrow, like the best I could get is 1.1".  My plan is to keep this width all the way out to about 8" from the tips, then a sharp taper.  I'll also probably go extra long, say 68", to try to keep the set down from it being so narrow.  Does anybody have any advice as far as this plan goes? 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Dazv

Re: Narrow osage
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:33 pm »
Ive got a 38inch Osage which is under an inch wide and pulls 30 lbs at 19 inch's, Ive have had no problems with set(taken pretty much none). I really don't think you need to worry about your width Osage is magic stuff.

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:55:14 pm »
Is it going to have a stiff handle or bendy? I built one almost identical to those dimensions with a bendy handle about a year ago and it worked out great. You're gonna like that osage.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »
Osage can take being narrow with no problems. You shouldn't have to go that long if you didn't want to. Your layout sounds pretty good. You could either go with a bendy handle or a stiff handle if you wanted to. Make the belly slightly rounded.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:33:28 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I probably won't have any choice but to round the belly some, Pat.  It's such a narrow little split and tapers so much toward the belly side there's no way I could get it as wide as the back.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »
I'm with Pat.  I don't think you need to go that long if you'd rather have a shorter bow.  Osage likes to be tested.  Good luck!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 09:50:14 pm »
Jonathan:  I wouldn't be concerned with the 1.1".  At 68" you will likely end up with a light poundage bow.  Not certain of your drawlength, but I would shorten it and make a bendy handle bow.  Leave the handle slightly bulbous and tiller in so that it begins to work during the last inch or two of your draw.  Assuming a 28" draw, I would make it 60" NTN and aim for 50#.  If you end up a bit light, you can afford to shorten it an inch or two to gain back some more pounds.  Osage can take it. 

Have fun!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »
Jonathan:  I wouldn't be concerned with the 1.1".  At 68" you will likely end up with a light poundage bow...

Matt, I'm curious why you would say that.  I've seen long thin osage bows that were hunting weight and shot great?  I've never made any cause I like short bows a lot more. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:07 pm »
George, I favor the shorties, also.  I only said that because Jonathan seemed to mention that he didn't have much belly wood.  At least, that's what my mind's eye pictured.
"It's such a narrow little split and tapers so much toward the belly side...".

I agree with you otherwise, I once made a ELB style osage at 1-inch wide that pulled hunting weight.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:12:09 pm »
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 10:20:59 am »
Thanks for all the advice, guys.  I've been wanting a Hill style flatbow for a while now, so that was kinda my original aim.  I figured with this one being so narrow it would be a decent candidate, but after working on it a little more last night I think I'm going to have to reconsider.  There's just nowhere near enough wood for a handle, and if I flatten it enough to glue on a handle section it's going to be thin enough it might flex there.  So, I think I'm going to shorten this one down and make a bendy handle, and maybe try to flip the tips on it.  I've got a couple more staves that I'll try my other idea on.
Cleveland, NC