Author Topic: First ring chased (thanks George:), on hackberry, how's it look?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline k-hat

Well, done some drawknifing on osage that i still haven't finished, so this will be my first ring chased on a stave (first stave bow period, not counting the one that snapped).  It's hackberry, 57" long, gonna be for the wife, bout 30# draw at 25".  Not quite the nightmare i was expecting, but it was quite a bit more difficult than osage. 

Here are some pics of the back and you can see the butt end a little in one.  I'm stopping short of the ring i was going for, which was about 1/8" thick, this one is between 1/16th at thinnest and 1/8th at thickest, which i suppose is enough.

You may notice some extra material left around three pin knots. toward the top end of the stave.  Gonna fine tune those next.

(you can see the last 8 or so inches of the layer i'm removing on the right of the last pic)

"Why chase a ring on hackberry when the back is just under the bark?" you may ask.  The outer 3/4"-1" of wood on all the staves i cut from a tree were no good (I found out the hard way . . .SNAP! :o ).  So instead of firewood, i decided to give it a go at chasing down to a good ring where the wood was no longer spongy.  Must have been a fungus, or dry rot, or the drought, who knows.

On the downside, this 2+ inch wide stave is now down to about 1.5" wide due to how deep i had to go to get some good wood.  Yes, much narrower than preferred for hackberry, but she will be backed with silk.  Hope that does the trick.   

Can't wait to finish shaping and floor tiller!!   

Many thanks to George Stoneberg for showing me the ropes on drawknifing/ring chasing.  He helped me get started on one of his osage staves back in the summer (yup, that's the one i need to finish, plus two of mine i've started on .  . . ::) )

Appreciate any thoughts and input! ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:54:04 pm by k-hat (aka stixman) »

Offline k-hat

Re: First ring chased (thanks George:), on hackberry, how's it look?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »
I am backing this one with silk, but i hope to do one after this with no backing.  Would this back be fine (except the knots , i think they would need more meat round the edges) without a backing?  Would like to get an opinion from more seasoned eyes.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »
Looks perfect to me. You dont need a back of any sort on that stave. Just build a bow! A backer wont stop anything from happening that you may have caused. It will stop a splinter, which you wont get with that stave. If you have a hinge or bad tillering job, it wont stop that from blowing up either. lay a bow out on that bugger and get to bending!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »
that really nice and clean

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »
Wow, thanks guys.  Started on profile this morn :laugh:

I'd love to try it unbacked, but it's for the wife and she wants deep purple silk backing, and she's gonna get deep purple silk ;)

Now, i've got another chunk of this stuff that's hopefully gonna be for yours truly (less i find somebody i feel generous toward), and you can bet ima make it unbacked if it comes out like this one.  Already in the planning stages in my noggin ::)

Thanks again!  I'll post'r when she's done, less i need some more help :D