Author Topic: Spiral Fletching  (Read 2525 times)

Offline John D

Spiral Fletching
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:25:38 am »
Anybody have experience using the spiral fletchings in a 3 fletch pattern?  According to one of the answers to a FAQ on 3 Rivers, the only difference between the spiral fletchings and regular full length is less quill.  Anyone have any insight to offer?

Thank you,

John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spiral Fletching
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
Just looking at their new catalog it appears that the spiral fluflu fletching is cheaper by half ($21 per 100)than the regular full length feathers($43) so it appears to be a deal.  I'd be leary of it for that reason. Why are they cheaper when more work has been done on them? I always just used full length feathers for spiral fluflus.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »
Pat- I've never done fluflus. CAn you post a picture of the full length spiral fluflus you've made? 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 02:45:47 pm »
Jeff, here is one I made to take to Colorado this year...

I just tie off the back end of the feather, wrap it around the shaft and tie off forward end. I have used fletch tape which is pretty easy and also glue but have to pin the feather until the glue dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John D

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:02:18 am »
Thanks Pat B.  The cheaper price raised questions for me too.  I appreciate the perspective.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »
I saw those in 3R and wondered the same.  TrueFlight full lengths are commercial grade feathers.  I don't know if it was always this way or not.  The 100 I got met the statement they make about the 1 - 5 1/2" cut,see top of page 57 in new cat., but many of them seemed a little ratty on tips, holes and thin.  I have older ones, 7+ years, that are nice and clean all the way to the outside edge. I still like them though.  Not trying to bash TF or 3R, got to have a lot of dead birds to get all them feathers.  I thought these would be good for squirrle, and they are if you are shooting up, but they are pretty noisey and a squirrle is pretty quick when it comes to wing type sounds.     
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)