Author Topic: Introduction, my first bow, and a question  (Read 5811 times)

Offline BakhSA

Re: Introduction, my first bow, and a question
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 03:31:40 am »
Congratulations on your first bow.
Bakh

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:52 am »
   GO SLOW AND THINK ALOT. There should'nt be any hurrying with it comes to building bows.

That's some of the best advice...wish I could follow it, then I wouldn't have made so many light poundage bows ::)  That one has a nice profile for a first bow.  Keep at it; I'm eager to see what you come out with next.  Congrats on the new addition.

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 09:14:38 am »

If all else fails PM me after the first of the year and I'll pass you an Osage Stave.

Happy Hunting!

-gus

Sounds like I would skip all those stores and hit up the best store in town at Gus'.  ;).. :laugh:

Decent effort for your first...a lil constructive criticism(but I think you know n learned)but I still see a trace of a wee bit to much of a bend in the handle. I blend in the handle area last and make it give an inch or two before full draw.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 11:46:35 am »
Good for you! Tiller looks pretty good . Once you start getting into the heavier poundage bows you'll beed to get those outer limbs bending a bit more or she'll shock you pretty well. Congratulations on the new addition to to your family. Oh and red oak can be obtained from the box stores. Just choose straight grained stock. Check my site for info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 09:32:00 pm »
Congratulations on your new Youngun' :)

After rereading your post I realize that you are on borrowed time here in Houston...
I missed that part the first read through... and was thinking that you were going to be in town for a while.
Sorry been under the weather the past few daze.  ???

With that said if you PM me today or tomorrow I could get a stave into your hands.
Early Thursday we'll be on the move.

If we don't get together I wish you and your growing family all the Best!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Nifty

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:01 pm »
Thank you guys for your input, I appreciate criticism. Once I get home, I'll get #2 finished up and posted, so you guys can criticize some more! :D

George, your site has helped me tremendously. I have been lurking here and reading your site for several months now, and you guys have all been a big help.

Gus, PM sent. Your offer is extremely generous and appreciated!! :D:D:D
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 08:09:03 pm »
Nice meeting you Nifty!
Wishing you and your Family the Very Best!

Give me a shout next week(Next Year!) if you guys are still in town maybe we can make some wood shavings.
Or Fire off the smoker and cook something.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Nifty

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 12:55:18 am »
Thank you again for your generosity Gus!

We'll see how this week turns out, but I'm sure you understand we're ready to get the heck out of Texas! The smoker sounds tempting though...
-Daniel B

"You can take the boy outta the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy"

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 01:14:38 am »
Congrats on the first bow and your baby!  Oh, and happy holidays to you!

Just thinking ahead a little, once you get back home to north Georgia, I believe there's a decent lumberyard in Dalton you could take a look at.  I forget what it's called (I google mapped it, I think it's the Baldrige Lumber and Co, Inc. but I'm not 100% sure) but it's where I got a bunch of straight-grained hickory for some practice swords; I'm sure they'd have some good boards, hickory and otherwise, for bow wood too.

Good luck on your next bowbuilding adventures!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 11:36:16 am »
DO NOT TURN DOWN THE SMOKER!!!
Even the dogs get the crumbs...