Author Topic: Rivercane with flat spots  (Read 2364 times)

Offline ga6693

Rivercane with flat spots
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:49:58 pm »
Can rivercane that is slightly out of round or with flat spots be made into arrows that will shoot accurately?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rivercane with flat spots
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:22:01 am »
Yes!  All river cane has a pronounced sulcus(indentation above the node) and it will make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:30 am »
If the "flat spot" extends the full length of the internode then it is some type of bamboo, not cane.  If like Pat B said it is just a flat spot near the each node then it is cane.  Either way they all make good arrows as long as the side walls are thick enough
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline ga6693

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:15:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice. The shafts I am referring to have an entire section on the large end that is out of round from node to node. I am in the process of sizing and spining them. When I turn them in the wrench I use for sizing it becomes obvious there is a high spot that runs the entire length of the section. On some shafts the difference in diameter is minimal and some it is more noticeable .  The remainder of the shaft looks good but if I cut off the questionable section there will not be sufficient diameter or length for an arrow. The cane I have came from several locations and most of it is good quality, but this has been curing for over a year and I hate to discard any of it  if it is usable. Also, I don't want to use up my limited supply of wild turkey feathers for fletching if there is a chance the arrows will not be serviceable. Thanks again for allowing me to share your knowledge and experience.

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
I have used just hill cane for the last four years and on some the section at the bottom is oblong. I have made arrows with cane like this and the arrows fly just fine. As a matter of fact I cut about six dozen a couple of weeks ago and sized them yesterday and about six had oblong shafts.
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline ga6693

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:56:49 pm »
 Oblong is a good word to describe the rivercane I was talking about. For some reason a lot of it in my area has this problem. I cut about 15 shafts from a new patch of cane yesterday and 6 of them were oblong on the end. I usually discard them when cutting if it is obvious they are like this but sometimes it is hard to tell. It is good to know that I can use the ones that are already dry. Thanks for the input, oldhippie.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:36:08 am »
If you get away from the fiberglass mentaiity oblong might not be a bad thing...I'm just saying...!   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ga6693

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »
Point well taken, Pat B.  :) The reason I initially asked the question was because several years ago a person who is very experienced in making rivercane arrows told me that if the rivercane was not round it would never fly straight. I tried to research the topic on this forum and others but was unsuccessful in finding any information. Seems like there are numerous threads on RC dealing with straightening, size , nocks, foreshafts...etc, but no mention of whether being concentric or not affects arrow flight. But I knew this forum is the place to get an honest answer from people who have the experience to guide myself and others in new ventures of primitive archery. Now,  I feel a lot more confident  in using the shafts I have thanks to the responses I got.   Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!