Author Topic: Now a crack!!! found my ring... question ...Trying some Osage... ring help  (Read 6041 times)

Offline coaster500

Re: Now a crack!!! found my ring... question ...Trying some Osage... ring help
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:20:08 am »

Toomanyknots I’m with you but just what I hear  :o

Blackhawk if the crack is ok in the middle of the limb I could get rid of two of the knots because the other end of the stave is pristine? Knot #3 would be the only one in the bow.

George I not sure how dry it was or is and I’m not sure if the crack was already there or opened up when I went to work on it. I sealed it back up and I’ll decide what to do later.

Art most of the sapwood was removed but I still don’t know when it cracked. I’ll reduce it closer to bow dimensions and let it dry in my man closet drying racks :)

Matt if I start from the other end I will only have knot #3 to deal with and I will center it in the limb as you suggest.

Hey Brock, you’re right tons of good info here and in a pm or two from a bcbull….  The little Yew bow is coming along nice. I”m still trying to decide if I want to sinew it or not. Just glued some walnut burl tip on it and shot it a bit today. Shoots pretty good like it is? We’ll see??? For now it’s keeping the Osage stave company in my drying racks  :laugh:

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bcbull

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 12:35:49 am »
kip like i was sayin thats saps a heck of a lot stronger n the rawhide is but if it shoot s good leave it as is  if ur that worried about the spot just put a lil rawhide patch there and feather it out  yews tough stuff   lol brock

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 01:45:49 am »
You would have seen that crack for sure while you ran the draw knife.  They can open up in a heartbeat if the wood is still damp.  But, cracks like that one can be ignored as long as they don't run out to the limb edge.  Knots that size can pretty much be ignored unless they have cracks or are right in the limb efge.  You can also ignore a knot that close to the limb tip as the bow will not be bending there.  I think you're in great shape.  It really is a beautiul stave.

George
St Paul, TX

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 05:03:49 am »
As has been said have no fears about the check. just fill with superglue and the back is the best place for a check as under tension it closes up. Same with the knots you can pretty much forget about them, osage knots are normally sound and can take plenty of compression.
If your rings weren't so thick (good thing!) then you could chase next ring down to get past the check if you really wanted to.
I would get it to floor tiller and then set aside in your house to dry for a couple of weeks.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 08:31:25 am »
Coaster
    That stave may have come from me. If it is thick enough I would chase another ring on it and see if it goes away. Like the others said I don't  think it would be a problem any way. If it does let me know and I will get you another one. I am wondering if that check wasn't already there but showed up when you put something wet on the back. Dean

Offline coaster500

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 12:12:03 pm »
Brock since it’s for the wife and only 30#s or so I think it will be strong enough without the rawhide…  Yewis sure a pleasure to work cuts like butter…

George, I got it from Dean and told him I needed a blind man newbie stave and he did a great job!!

Mike, big rings are a good thing for me and these eyes…  if they hadn’t been I’d be toast!!

Dean it may or may not have been there but it’s a great stave and I will give it my best shot to make a bow. Thank you though for your most generous offer but I think if this nice piece of wood don’t make a bow it’s driver error.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)